What's new
What's new

Best way to sell off unused woodworking hardware, and some machines.

Scruffy887

Titanium
Pallet of full extension drawer slides, mostly KV and Accuride. Some full boxes, lot of smaller lots. Other hardware on other pallets too, some smaller single phase machines. Craigs List? Ebay looks to be a PITA.

Selling things is a PITA- I have been using FB marketplace to clear out old gear.
All the usual suspects waste time for you.

For a few hundred dollar value items it is just slightly worth it- maybe better than tossing in dumpster but not by much..

The last item was not to bad- sort of enjoyable talk with 20 texts with some guy who in the end wanted me to load up the gear and drive to meet him- crazy.
Old advice it to take the first offer and get it done.
I put a low price just to move things out and say the usual first come first serve to save complex arrangements the potential buyers want.
You eventually become able to read between the lines and can tell someone who will actually show up and grab the stuff.

I'd just drop on the FB market and forget about it- someone will eventually come and get something obscure like boxes of drawer slides but it might take a while.

I did a big push on Ebay- I had an account with USPS to print labels direct from sales so that helped save time.
Everything was flat rate boxed, everything was started at a penny just let run usually bringing good prices.
I made more money than I would have thought on odd gear that had come it as extras with machine auction purchases.

Unless the moderator objects, why not list what you have for sale here? A short concise post with pics and reasonable prices seems to work.

L7

PITA to pack and ship.

Just called local Vocational school. They will take the 500 pound pallet of slides, prob the pallet of solid surface pieces too. And I get to write the donation off to boot.

Selling things is a PITA- I have been using FB marketplace to clear out old gear.
All the usual suspects waste time for you.

For a few hundred dollar value items it is just slightly worth it- maybe better than tossing in dumpster but not by much..

The last item was not to bad- sort of enjoyable talk with 20 texts with some guy who in the end wanted me to load up the gear and drive to meet him- crazy.
Old advice it to take the first offer and get it done.
I put a low price just to move things out and say the usual first come first serve to save complex arrangements the potential buyers want.
You eventually become able to read between the lines and can tell someone who will actually show up and grab the stuff.

I'd just drop on the FB market and forget about it- someone will eventually come and get something obscure like boxes of drawer slides but it might take a while.

I did a big push on Ebay- I had an account with USPS to print labels direct from sales so that helped save time.
Everything was flat rate boxed, everything was started at a penny just let run usually bringing good prices.
I made more money than I would have thought on odd gear that had come it as extras with machine auction purchases.

This is good advice! Price it to sell fast and be done with it. I've had good experience selling here on PM and on CL. Starting at 1 cent on eBay works great too, gets a bidding war started, but I'm put off by ebay fees and buyer protection bias. Once bit, forever shy.

I also feel that it's worth the extra time to try to get stuff in the hands of users, rather than just dumping it. Too late to save the planet, but we can delay things a bit...

Best solution is to let someone else handle it for a share of the revenue.

I have 30 years of hardware stuff left over from millwork/casework jobs. Sitting here since 2013 when I decided that that business was sucking the life out of me.
I just put a small cantilever lumber rack outside for the scrappies to take. And a 48 x 96 assembly table about 30" high. I have 5 units of steel shelving, 24" x 36". 3 are about 72" tall, 2 are about 48" tall. Prob going outside tomorrow.

Back