What's new
What's new

Bosch router (late 80's) - bearing replacement

specfab

Titanium
I have a Bosch fixed-base router, either 1.75 or 2.25 HP, (motor assembly 19054, according to the parts list I got from Bosch) that I purchased in the late 80's new, and I have probably used it a couple of times a year, for some hours over a few days time, most years since then. I think I'm going to need to replace the bearings soon; it is starting to exhibit some RPM variations and that "tight" sound that usually precedes more severe failure.

My question is whether by chance anyone here knows the specs or standard bearing numbers for the front and back bearings in this tool. I have contacted Bosch, and as I figured, everything is obsolete/no longer available due to age of machine. I am planning to try a few of the Bosch service centers to see if they have anything that works, and have requested the bearing specs from Bosch customer service, but that may be a lost cause. I would like to have the bearings in hand before I tear the router apart, obviously.

Any input appreciated -- thanks.

Why is it obvious that you need the bearings before you tear it down, it's certainly not a production tool. Bosch didn't make the bearings in the first place so they wouldn't be expected to have them on their shelf after all these years..but run of the mill bearing suppliers will certainly have them.

Rip it apart, get the bearing numbers and stick it back together when the new ones arrive. I just don't see the problem here.

Stuart

Why is it obvious that you need the bearings before you tear it down, it's certainly not a production tool. Bosch didn't make the bearings in the first place so they wouldn't be expected to have them on their shelf after all these years..but run of the mill bearing suppliers will certainly have them.

Rip it apart, get the bearing numbers and stick it back together when the new ones arrive. I just don't see the problem here.

Stuart

Thanks -- I'm in the middle of doing some development work right now that involves the use of the router, and I need to minimize any downtime risk, so it would just be more convenient to have the parts in hand to make the fix immediately. Having a machine in pieces waiting for parts is always a pain in a small shop with not enough space anyway...

I'm not trying to be a jerk here but if you pull the router apart you can ID the bearings easily. My bet is they are common bearings and no more than 2 days out at the very most..likely less if you have a decent supplier nearby. The router is probably DOA now so tearing it apart for repair is of no consequence.

That's my take.

Stuart

Back