What's new
What's new

Carriage bearings Dewalt GWI RAS?

lucky7

Titanium
Looking for replacement carriage bearings for a mid 1950’s Dewalt GWI radial arm saw. Anyone know of a source?

Nachi 81004 used to be the spec. Accurate Bearings apparently used to stock same but emails aren’t being returned.

L7

How bad are the bearings? RAS is a very low speed application - I typically clean them up and regrease if necessary. Also try google - I got a few hits

Rick

Thanks for reply. Yup, Google has been tried and am dead ending. Yup, the bearing have been on a repeat of soak in solvent and spin gently for awhile, still lumpy and sticky. I have no problem making an adaptor shell pressed over standard bearings, but trying to save myself work.

L7

My Dewalt GE? used standard off the shelf bearings.

Yep. The GE design went to crossed pairs of standard bearings riding right on the standard cylindrical OD. A more intelligent design. Many of the other machines used custom single bearings, with spherical OD's. As Lucky7 notes, one option is to find a suitable ID/OD standard cylindrical bearing, and make and fit hardened shells to it. Sort of a fun project, or a major nuisance, depending on the perspective :)

Those older/lighter machines were heck for wearing the integral tracks so the saw takes a nice swing side-to-side as it approaches the fence, then does a sudden drop just before the home parking place. Even GE's do it to some extent though they tend to wear longer. I've got a GE in the restoration queue in neighbor's barn and imagine planing it at some point. But don't need/use a radial on the shop floor enough to give one space. Do you have a plan for reworking yours? For the spherical rim bearings, it might made a change in the options, if you have to make rims yourself.

smt

Smt, not sure if you’re asking me or someone else about rebuild plan?

My GWI saw was a very cheap garage find near me. Prob not used in fifty years being buried behind a lot of other stuff according to the elderly seller (it was his father’s back in the day). The arm’s ways measure under two thou out from parallel with most of wear at back of arm. I assume that isn’t too worn for a RAS? At least it’s much better than the 1960’s lightweight RAS I grew up with that has had a hard life- and I’m still using/abusing. I don’t really need the GWI, just would be a nice addition or maybe replacement.

Would love to have a GE or GP, but don’t have the space, or realistically, the type of work that needs a 16” blade saw. Did enjoy watching Frank Howarth repair and use his on his youtubes.

L7

Back