Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Central machine Lathe tailstock

OK so I bought a 14 x 40 wood lathe Central machine at a garage sale for 70$. But being the amateur I am I didnít realize the live center was gone. It is not your typical lathe live center. But since it is missing I would like to replace the tailstock so that I can use a common live center. I will be attaching photos of the old tailstock. Hoping to find someone who has dealt with changing the tailstock on a central machine lathe. The tailstock center rest at exactly 7Ē to center of live center from the railing it set on. Please help! I am new to lathes and all things concerning so if I didnít label something correctly please have patience with me. Thank you in advance.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191009/6a4d77b163c1a3f373de08e4d4109d93.jpg[/

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,
    This forum is a great resource for those learning about machining, but it has standards for the types of equipment we discus. As a "professionally" oriented site, we tend to avoid the smaller "home shop" tools like this.

There are a number of "home machine shop forums" [search those terms] that will be a bigger help for you on this matter than we can be. When you have questions about machining processes you're more than welcome to ask them here, but it's also wise to spend some time just reading a variety of topics first so you get a better sense of how the place functions.

BTW, I have no idea where that particular item would fit on a 14 x 40 import lathe - it's not a tailstock for anything other than possibly a wood lathe (could that be what you bought?).

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes it is a wood lathe. And I apologize I donít realize Iím new to forums also. I have spent about 30 hours researching and have come up empty handed that is why I thought I would try a forum but again I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hah, I'd not noticed this was posted to the woodworking section, I jumped to the conclusion that it was a HarbFright 14 x 40 metalworking lathe initially.

You can probably get the bearing attachment from HF, contact their customer service department.

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did they said itís no longer available plus Iíd like to upgrade it so I can change from a live center to a chuck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try reposting your question to the woodworking forum using a better title, such as "Wood lathe tailstock missing live center" or something, the better a title is the more likely someone will notice and try to help.

Good luck...

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here find a straight shank live center for $25
    A better straight shank live center might cost $100 to $300
    A tail stock can be made of oak or any hard wood in short order.
    3/8" Straight Shank Pool Cue Building Tool Mini Lathe Custom 60deg Live Center | eBay

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will a tailstock of hardwood hold that pressure?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Layer and screw or/and glue abut 3" thick of hardwood boards and that will be likely just a tough/strong and cast iron. Having a friend with a metal lathe you might make a tube bushing with a set screw to give the live center a bit of end ways adjustment..