What's new
What's new

Central machine Lathe tailstock

paulmarner19

Plastic
OK so I bought a 14 x 40 wood lathe Central machine at a garage sale for 70$. But being the amateur I am I didn’t realize the live center was gone. It is not your typical lathe live center. But since it is missing I would like to replace the tailstock so that I can use a common live center. I will be attaching photos of the old tailstock. Hoping to find someone who has dealt with changing the tailstock on a central machine lathe. The tailstock center rest at exactly 7” to center of live center from the railing it set on. Please help! I am new to lathes and all things concerning so if I didn’t label something correctly please have patience with me. Thank you in advance.

6a4d77b163c1a3f373de08e4d4109d93.jpg[

Hi,
This forum is a great resource for those learning about machining, but it has standards for the types of equipment we discus. As a "professionally" oriented site, we tend to avoid the smaller "home shop" tools like this.

There are a number of "home machine shop forums" [search those terms] that will be a bigger help for you on this matter than we can be. When you have questions about machining processes you're more than welcome to ask them here, but it's also wise to spend some time just reading a variety of topics first so you get a better sense of how the place functions.

BTW, I have no idea where that particular item would fit on a 14 x 40 import lathe - it's not a tailstock for anything other than possibly a wood lathe (could that be what you bought?).

Yes it is a wood lathe. And I apologize I don’t realize I’m new to forums also. I have spent about 30 hours researching and have come up empty handed that is why I thought I would try a forum but again I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hah, I'd not noticed this was posted to the woodworking section, I jumped to the conclusion that it was a HarbFright 14 x 40 metalworking lathe initially.

You can probably get the bearing attachment from HF, contact their customer service department.

I did they said it’s no longer available plus I’d like to upgrade it so I can change from a live center to a chuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try reposting your question to the woodworking forum using a better title, such as "Wood lathe tailstock missing live center" or something, the better a title is the more likely someone will notice and try to help.

Good luck...

Layer and screw or/and glue abut 3" thick of hardwood boards and that will be likely just a tough/strong and cast iron. Having a friend with a metal lathe you might make a tube bushing with a set screw to give the live center a bit of end ways adjustment..

Back