Chainsaw bar oil additive? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA USA
    Posts
    8,420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1594

    Default

    Husvarna has used sun flower oil. not sure if it was for bar oil or fuel mix or both. Many parts of the world frown on dumping half a gallon of oil per day in the woods near creeks.
    Bill D

  2. Likes neilho liked this post
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    21,147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Husvarna has used sun flower oil. not sure if it was for bar oil or fuel mix or both. Many parts of the world frown on dumping half a gallon of oil per day in the woods near creeks.
    Bill D
    Sooo ... if you use maple syrup as bar oil, is that cannibalism ?....
    Last edited by digger doug; 04-01-2021 at 06:26 AM.

  4. Likes Scottl, DaveKamp liked this post
  5. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    114
    Likes (Received)
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Sooo ... if you use maple syrup as bar oil, is that cannibalism ?....
    LMAO! We fed our chickens breakfast leftovers... they LOVED scrambled eggs...

    Lessee... it's a two stroke, which means for every 40 gallons of gasoline we burn, there's a gallon of two-stroke oil that goes through, and some of it comes out...

    Let's say we converted all our chainsaws to four stroke, and eliminated bar oil, just replaced the bar and chain every three cuts... and while it'd quadruple the cost, the saws would become so heavy NOBODY could use them, so they wouldn't hafta BUY them... and then they wouldn't cut up the trees that were threatening power lines and blocking roads, which means we wouldn't be able to drive or use electricity, which means we'd either freeze or starve, which reduces our 'carbon footprint' which makes us all more environmentally-friendly!...

  6. Likes digger doug, henrya, Dualkit liked this post
  7. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    176
    Likes (Received)
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveKamp View Post
    LMAO! We fed our chickens breakfast leftovers... they LOVED scrambled eggs...

    Lessee... it's a two stroke, which means for every 40 gallons of gasoline we burn, there's a gallon of two-stroke oil that goes through, and some of it comes out...

    Let's say we converted all our chainsaws to four stroke, and eliminated bar oil, just replaced the bar and chain every three cuts... and while it'd quadruple the cost, the saws would become so heavy NOBODY could use them, so they wouldn't hafta BUY them... and then they wouldn't cut up the trees that were threatening power lines and blocking roads, which means we wouldn't be able to drive or use electricity, which means we'd either freeze or starve, which reduces our 'carbon footprint' which makes us all more environmentally-friendly!...
    F'kn dolphin rooters

  8. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vershire, Vermont
    Posts
    2,634
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1845
    Likes (Received)
    874

    Default

    Easy enough to buy biodegradable bar and chain oil. Electric saws aren't quite there yet, but approaching. Sure are a lot nicer to use than a 2 cycle, that's for damn sure.

  9. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    4,130
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    1480

    Default

    in fact ,mineral oil dispersed as a fine spray and in small quantity is just as biodegradeable,or moreso ,than the sawdust .......now ,here an funny enviro story.......much rain here lately,and a big pool of water beside the fence has an oilslick on it ......a small bird repeatedly comes back and bathes in the water ,apparently the oil helps with parasites or skin disease,or maybe just makes the bird feel good.

  10. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Posts
    11,273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4214
    Likes (Received)
    4006

    Default

    Sure are a lot nicer to use than a 2 cycle, that's for damn sure.
    You just don't have the right fun approach to saws.

    dsc_0093.jpg

    dsc_0095.jpg

    a small bird repeatedly comes back and bathes in the water ,apparently the oil helps with parasites or skin disease,or maybe just makes the bird feel good.
    De rigueur for ducktail haircuts.
    Put some Doo-Wop on to make it feel at home.

    smt

  11. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    21,147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    in fact ,mineral oil dispersed as a fine spray and in small quantity is just as biodegradeable,or moreso ,than the sawdust .......now ,here an funny enviro story.......much rain here lately,and a big pool of water beside the fence has an oilslick on it ......a small bird repeatedly comes back and bathes in the water ,apparently the oil helps with parasites or skin disease,or maybe just makes the bird feel good.
    Also, the slick keeps mosquito's at bay.

  12. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default cut quicker

    I like the moly modifier idea and have used it my self, and yes bar oil is tacky, something I didn't see here or maybe I missed is that bar oil is made more biodegradable than engine oil somehow, don't know of way lube. I've talked with a few loggers who actually put in a splash of atf in a gallon of it in very cold weather. But keeping the chain razor sharp is easier on the saw, and faster thusly easier on the environment, gas usage, bar oil usage, and back usage. I bought two 2 in 1 sharpeners, does tooth and racker at the same time, sent the stihl one back and then modified the china one to get the round alittle deeper in the gullet of the tooth. If any one buys one, the guide rails should be removed and milled like an extra .020 or so and then put it back together. oh and mark the thing with a angle you like the marks are wrong or maybe fine for pine.

  13. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    21,147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
    You just don't have the right fun approach to saws.

    dsc_0093.jpg

    dsc_0095.jpg
    I think Mother Nature did the felling, where's the fun in that ?....
    And...."Why doo we cut down a tree, and the cut it up ?"

  14. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vershire, Vermont
    Posts
    2,634
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1845
    Likes (Received)
    874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
    You just don't have the right fun approach to saws.

    dsc_0093.jpg


    smt
    Man alive! That double ender makes me tired just looking at it!

    I do like my 70cc Jonsered, though...

  15. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On Elk Mountain, West Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1020
    Likes (Received)
    765

    Default

    Castor oil has long been used as a tackifier for lube oil

  16. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Posts
    11,273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4214
    Likes (Received)
    4006

    Default

    I think Mother Nature did the felling, where's the fun in that ?.
    Natural methods only work so far.
    Still have to go back with mechanical devices to limb & buck.

    My brothers & I did use the Disston occasionally for felling on tracts being cleared for development around DC in the 70's.
    But not for long. You have to be really coordinated/confident in each other and it is a nuisance to get through brush.
    Went to Homelites at the time, continued to sometimes use the 2 man for bucking.

    smt

  17. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    21,147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I want some of this as an additive:
    national lampoons christmas vacation - sled wax - YouTube

  18. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    114
    Likes (Received)
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Electric saws aren't quite there yet, but approaching. Sure are a lot nicer to use than a 2 cycle, that's for damn sure.
    I like my electrics for home-improvement projects... like when you need to cut a notch in something that a sawzall can't reach, but running a two-stroke inside the house would cause marital strife.

    I don't have any electrics that're in the ability to replace the MS-880... I'd hate to try to lift one that COULD...

  19. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    21,147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveKamp View Post

    I don't have any electrics that're in the ability to replace the MS-880... I'd hate to try to lift one that COULD...
    Your assuming 120 vac. Or one with a battery.

    Think "400 hz 3 phase 600 volt"....

  20. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    6,817
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5849
    Likes (Received)
    6239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Easy enough to buy biodegradable bar and chain oil. Electric saws aren't quite there yet, but approaching. Sure are a lot nicer to use than a 2 cycle, that's for damn sure.
    Interestingly enough, when the city forestry crew came out at night to deal with emergency storm damage the guy doing the cutting was using a cordless chainsaw to reduce noise. I've forgotten the exact brand but it was either Husqvarna or Stihl and it was a pro grade tool.

  21. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vershire, Vermont
    Posts
    2,634
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1845
    Likes (Received)
    874

    Default

    I've tried all of 'em except the new Oregon, 135V IIRC? The best was prob a Greenworks 80V- I have it and it's a reasonable saw, just small. Prob equivalent to a 30cc 2 cycle. The 70cc Jonsered cuts a lot more wood on my place, but for small stuff, interrupted cut sessions like moving around in the woods with the tractor, it's so nice. Very little noise, no fumes and the damn thing just runs when I pull the trigger. Very handy for pruning where the tree has to be climbed.

  22. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    6,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    1184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magneticanomaly View Post
    Castor oil has long been used as a tackifier for lube oil
    Thanks for that. Now I know what to do with that pint I have in the medicine cabinet.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •