What's new
What's new

Checking out a Mattison 202

maynah

Stainless
I need to check out the operation of a big Mattison 202 rip saw. My question is, will running it in the cold damage anything?
It's in a unheated shop and it's been getting down to near zero at night here. I'm a little worried about any feed bearings and of course the spindle. I'm sure it hasn't run for years. I'd lube any zerks or oil cups I saw first.
Thanks

Ditto what Richard said.

You probably already know that the chains on those things are often bad.
Wear on the points gradually looses good control on the lumber as far as actual stright lining. Though will feed with fence forever.

Wear on the bottom - sometimes in worn abused machines the side plates of the links wear enough to weaken/start breaking.

Good luck!
smt

What got me thinking about the cold was I just picked up a P&W model C lathe and I'm storing it in my barn for now.
It had been sitting for a long time and is very dirty and gunked up. The controls are hard to move because of cold lube, dried grease etc.
I walk past and fondle it now and then but I don't want to power it up yet because I'd bet the oil lines are not pumping very well and I don't even know if the pump works or not.
The Mattison does have automatic oiling and quite a few oil lines.
It's a beast of a saw with a 15 hp motor and weighs 6550 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_5397.jpg
    IMG_5397.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5413.jpg
    IMG_5413.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5399.jpg
    IMG_5399.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5405.jpg
    IMG_5405.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5408.jpg
    IMG_5408.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 30
I'm helping a family sell an estate. It's down to just a few machines.
The Mattison was in a storage room with wood piled all over and around it.
I just want to verify it works as it should before we try to sell it.

Back