What's new
What's new

custom table bowed

evega

Plastic
Hi, looking for advice on how to deal with a table that bowed.
Table is made of Padauk with a rectangle cutout in the middle for a iron plate that sits flush. I took the plate out to sand and re-stain then forgot to put it back. Seems the cutout is now too small for the plate now and I'm hoping to avoid having to trim material for the cutout in case it straightens out.
Thanks.

How long was the plate out (months?) and how humid was the environment? Did the table actually bow, or has it swollen across the grain? If bowed, is it humped/dished out of the horizontal plane, or is it bowed in the horizontal plane?

Table is 27x17 with the grain running with the 27 length. The dish is a bit under 1/16 in the 17 inch dimension.
I took the plate out over the summer and it's been out since then and it's been kept in the house with a relatively low humidity level.

If the plate is snug the top will crack at some point. Maybe you got a bit too much finish on the edge of the recess? In winter the wood will want to shrink and the snug plate may prevent that. Something will give.
Is the finish the same on the bottom as the top? Sounds like some moisture got to the bottom and curled the top.

Back