Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    Count your fingers,ah hands first, to see if you lose any...Phil
    Haven't run a RA saw much eh ?
    Rather you just keep warning people so much so they become scared as much as you are.
    ---------------------------
    I used to run one for an employer, and did them cross cut wise, and yes, as a normal climb cut, stacked up 3/4" of cutters.

Make sure your machine is aligned properly so as not to grab.

2. Likes Scruffy887 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I cut dados with mine, no reason you can't put a clamp on the wood so both hands on the saw. never ripped a dado though, wouldn't dream of cutting metal in a chop saw without a clamp why would I do it on a wood saw that has a high tendency to grab? its nice to be able to see your cut marks

4. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I understand the caution, and I have my share of butt pucker moments with a RAS, but...

This door and three more exactly like were made almost entirely on a RAS, half lap joints on the panel corners, frames notch framed.
    Oh and the deck rail behind all the uprights were notched for the rails, something like 30 of them.
    And most of that work was done by a 'real' carpenter with little experience on a RAS
    And the saw is a Delta 9 inch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails door.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sears had at one time a variable dado blade that wobbled.

Cut like standard blade so tooth bite small so these can do a dado but still it can get aggressive so good grip a must and verify where all body parts are located before starting cut.

A sacrificial leading board may help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Quiring View Post
    Sears had at one time a variable dado blade that wobbled.

Cut like standard blade so tooth bite small so these can do a dado but still it can get aggressive so good grip a must and verify where all body parts are located before starting cut.

A sacrificial leading board may help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Or....you could think ahead of time, pull the saw OUT, apply the board to the fence, and conventional cut instead of climb cut.
    If you find you have tear out problems, a scrap of cheap Masonite on top should doo nicely.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another organ donor thread?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    Another organ donor thread?
    Just because you can't doo it...doesn't mean others that doo it all the time are somehow "unsafe".

People drive 8000 gallon gas tankers down the highways along with traffic, each and every day, and half the time, they are empty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes you can use a dado set but it is best to do it in multiple passes. A neighbor did it many times on stock that was unwieldy on the table saw.

The main thing to remember is that even if the hand holding the stock is out of the way now there are situations where vibration can make the stock slide toward the blade and pull your hand with it. Work safe, start cautiously until you are familiar with the tool and use clamps and guide blocks as much as possible.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Just because you can't doo it...doesn't mean others that doo it all the time are somehow "unsafe".

People drive 8000 gallon gas tankers down the highways along with traffic, each and every day, and half the time, they are empty.
    A RAS is the most dangerous tool known to mankind, right after the whirly-burr, that is........

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    A RAS is the most dangerous tool known to mankind, right after the whirly-burr, that is........
    An empty gasolene tanker is the most dangerous vehicle out there on the
    "superslab".

a RAS not so much. Only if your a ignorant Newbie that can't seem to respect tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few chuckle worthy comments for sure. Fwiw and yes none of this will ever make me a highly skilled RA saw operator. But I've been running everything from dinky little forklifts to the modern rope and hydraulic mining shovels and pretty much everything in between for the last 40 plus years. Anyone not smart enough to prevent mother natures natural selection then your a job hazard and you can get dead real quick in those jobs. If I do decide to attempt this? Not removing anything I was born with in the process will be a high priority. I've also been operating lathes and mills for just about as long at the home shop level and so far I can still count all 10 digits with both eyes. :-) Getting proper answers from professionals is why I asked here and not on any of the more hobby level wood butcher forums where sometimes a high post count gets confused with actually knowing anything you can trust. My sincere thanks to all who have helped.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal mach View Post
    A few chuckle worthy comments for sure. Fwiw and yes none of this will ever make me a highly skilled RA saw operator. But I've been running everything from dinky little forklifts to the modern rope and hydraulic mining shovels and pretty much everything in between for the last 40 plus years. Anyone not smart enough to prevent mother natures natural selection then your a job hazard and you can get dead real quick in those jobs. If I do decide to attempt this? Not removing anything I was born with in the process will be a high priority. I've also been operating lathes and mills for just about as long at the home shop level and so far I can still count all 10 digits with both eyes. :-) Getting proper answers from professionals is why I asked here and not on any of the more hobby level wood butcher forums where sometimes a high post count gets confused with actually knowing anything you can trust. My sincere thanks to all who have helped.
    Minor nits....

What Dad had done.. as he departed the role of Post Engineer & Deputy Post Commander, Newport News Port of Embarcation.. was purchase a BIG DeWalt 3-phase RAS that had been surplused out of the pallet shop as the Korean War was wound down.

As a kid, I recall that paint and all it looked as if it had never made a single cut. And it might not have.

He hauled that to Pittsburgh in a utility trailer and traded it to a local lumberyard for the price of a brand-new and smaller single-phase DeWalt he may as well have been trying to raise pups with, he came to love it so much.

Even that one was new 1954, nearly all cast-iron, and heavier built column, arm, rollers, and such than any I've seen since, similar size, at "Big Box" and such-like outlets. The bigger one he traded was larger even than those HD and Lowes have where they cut timber for customers.

A "Port of Embarcation" shipped armoured vehicles, railway locomotives, and such by ship, so their need of timber & grillage had been scaled accordingly.

As with generating puppies.. or "whatever"..

Wise to adjust your performance expectations according to the mass of yourRAS!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^^ Which is why I’d love to have a Northfield Unipoint. Fact I don’t have enough big work for it and no space gets in the way of my fantasy.

L7

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    ^^^ Which is why I’d love to have a Northfield Unipoint. Fact I don’t have enough big work for it and no space gets in the way of my fantasy.

L7
    Say it again, louder, ISTR a PM member near me has a workalike - Monarch was it?
    He made a repair to a more cosmetic than essential casting crack, and it was good to go.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One can pull the saw out, feed in the material, turn on the saw and push it back while making the cut. Do this anytime you don't want the saw to get in a hurry. We cut aluminum sheet and bar this way all the time with the 12 inch dewalt, the tin one not the heavy duty cast one.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    We cut aluminum sheet and bar this way all the time with the 12 inch dewalt, the tin one not the heavy duty cast one.
    Disclosure:

I do that with an El Cheapo "Kobalt" sliding compound mitre "saw shaped object".
    The old rusty one that lives outdoors. Not the cleaner new one.

My Kasto is reserved for metal. Not shiney-wood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Made a sideboard for one of the kids beds that literally broke in half since it was veneered particle board
    Then I realized the drop would replace a lost fixed jaw on my under bench vise, but it needed to be ripped

death-saw.jpg

Still have all my appendages

Maybe I will go adjust my overhead door spring now....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Made a sideboard for one of the kids beds that literally broke in half since it was veneered particle board
    Then I realized the drop would replace a lost fixed jaw on my under bench vise, but it needed to be ripped

death-saw.jpg

Still have all my appendages

Maybe I will go adjust my overhead door spring now....
    No riving knife either...
    Go stand in the corner by the door spring