What's new
What's new

Delta/Rockwell band saw info

indychuck

Aluminum
A local high school is closing their wood shop and this Rockwell/Delta band saw is available for me to scoop up.

Just curious on this unit's reputation and quality.

I didn't grab a picture of the model number, but I do have a serial number and a couple quick snapshots.

It is in working condition, but just curious on the quality of this older machine? If I were to buy a new one, would this older unit be comparable to a low end unit, middle of the road or higher end saw?

Thank you

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

I have one that has been working great for as long as I can remember(~60 years). I have a speed reduction gear box on it and usually use it for steel and aluminum.

The 14" Delta-Rockwell bandsaw is a wonderful tool. I bought mine new in 1971 from a dealer in Los Angeles. It's only ever been used for cutting wood. I added the accessory 6" riser kit right after I got it so that I could re-saw 10" wide wood for guitar backs and sides. Mine has a 1/2 hp Baldor motor which is plenty for what I do with the unit.

In all the time that I've used mine, which is literally many hundreds of hours, the only maintenance has been a set of bearings for the motor, a set of ball bearings for the guides and a couple of sets of belts for the wheels.

I use 3/4" by 3/4 skip-tooth blades for heavy work and it's always made beautiful cuts.

If I were you, I'd be over at the school scooping that one up pronto. I don't know what the new ones are like, but the vintage Delta items are hard to beat!

Big question is how much are they asking for it?

They are just fine little saws, and parts are very easily obtained. Might want to look around the OWWM site, more than enuf info there.

I now have the band saw - they just weren't using it and charged nothing.

I still can't locate the model number.

The only aftermarket piece I see is that wood guide that you can see now that I've taken the guards off.

Any idea why that was installed? Was there something there prior to this add on or is this just simply a safety precaution in case the blade brakes?

Thank you

IMG_0745.jpg

The bandsaws originally came with gray-painted wooden blade guards. When I added the riser kit, that also had a longer wooden guard. My guard finally warped so I made one out of maple. It looks like someone built a new one for your saw as well.

Good catch on that saw.

By the way, I tried cutting thin aluminum sheet with my saw a couple of times, but chips got embedded in the rubber belts, so I just stuck to wood only.

Great find, Your's is the 14" metal / wood version. I would think different years had different model numbers. The gear box and several other less significant parts were changed over the years.
Newman109 is correct about the guard. With out it the running blade is exposed.
Take a photo of the gear box and actuation knob / lever for better info on the model. I might have the manual if you need a copy.

Andy

Andy, I may just have to take you up on a copy of a manual.

Here is an image of the gear box, I spun the lower wheels (where the belt is attached)but those two pulleys is the only thing that moved, the blade did not move. I'm not certain if a belt is missing or if something else needs to engage once the motor starts.

I've not powered it on due to not having easy access to 220 at this time.

IMG_0747.jpg

I'm not sure if the model number is the 106 part of the 106-6440 serial number stamp on my Band saw. Sorry about the fuzzy close up of the plate but it's the best my camera will do.BandSawRHS.jpgBandSawSN.jpg

You are missing the belt that goes from the motor to the large pulley. When engaged it provides the high speed for cutting wood.

Thank you, do you know what model this is. I will need to obtain a manual for it. Any tips on where to grab a manual will be helpful too.

Many thanks!

I now have the band saw - they just weren't using it and charged nothing.

I still can't locate the model number.

The only aftermarket piece I see is that wood guide that you can see now that I've taken the guards off.

Any idea why that was installed? Was there something there prior to this add on or is this just simply a safety precaution in case the blade brakes?

Thank you

View attachment 291162

Here's some pictures of the wood blade guard on mine. It's oak and obviously was expertly seasoned because it hasn't warped in 60 years. I put the switch/utility box on mine so I wouldn't have to worry about arcing wearing out the contacts on the toggle switch on the motor-it's a lot easier and cheaper to change a wall switch. I looked all over for a model ID but other than numbers on the castings, nothing. I'm pretty sure the 106 number identified the model and 6440 was the actual serial number. BandSawLHS.jpgBandSawGuard1.jpgBandSawGuard2.jpgBandSawGuard3.jpgBandSawGuard4.jpg

Absolutely the best source for parts, accessories and information about these saws is Iturra Design. Louis Iturra. I don’t have the current contact info for them, but they are in Florida - Jacksonville I think. No website, but their printed catalog is a wealth of information. It is almost exclusively Delta 14” bandsaws. How can you devote so many pages to a single machine? You’ll see. I’ve ordered from them in the past, but haven’t needed anything recently. Pretty much a one-man outfit, and service is excellent.

Michelin ratings go to only 3 stars. Iturra would get 4.

Absolutely the best source for parts, accessories and information about these saws is Iturra Design. Louis Iturra. I don’t have the current contact info for them, but they are in Florida - Jacksonville I think. No website, but their printed catalog is a wealth of information. It is almost exclusively Delta 14” bandsaws. How can you devote so many pages to a single machine? You’ll see. I’ve ordered from them in the past, but haven’t needed anything recently. Pretty much a one-man outfit, and service is excellent.

Michelin ratings go to only 3 stars. Iturra would get 4.

Yes, thanks. I ordered their bandsaw catalog this morning. Phone No, is 1-904-642-2802. According to the person who answered the phone, the catalog covers all of the Rockwell bandsaws, not only the 14".

Follow up on the Iturra Catalog.

i received the Iturra Catalog this morning. Man, what a book! It's 5/8" thick and lots of pages. Rather than just lists of parts, it's got all sorts of text on setting up and adjusting bandsaws. He also has some nifty accessories for the Rockwell 14" and other bandsaws and lots of historical information.

I'm sure that I'll be ordering things from him. I highly recommend this catalog for bandsaw owners.

Andy, I may just have to take you up on a copy of a manual.

Here is an image of the gear box, I spun the lower wheels (where the belt is attached)but those two pulleys is the only thing that moved, the blade did not move. I'm not certain if a belt is missing or if something else needs to engage once the motor starts.

I've not powered it on due to not having easy access to 220 at this time.

View attachment 291170

Hi
I just now saw this and also your pm. Sorry about that life sometimes gets in the way of stuff.
Anyway,not the best photo but it looks like you have the model with the push / pull knurled knob. Can't remember but one way engages the gear box and the other is direct drive to the motor /belt . As noted above you are missing the belt for direct drive (wood).
The knobs get sticky over the years and also need the dog teeth aligned to engage,
I'll try and look for the manual if you have not gotten it yet.

Andy

Back