What's new
What's new

Does anyone here have a Foley saw filer?

bruto

Stainless
Long ago I got a Foley saw filer, which does work, but one thing missing is the gauge used to set the saw height in the carrier. I have found a resource for the instructions, but not the dimensions of the gauge. I can do it by guesswork of course, and could probably fabricate something based on that, but it would be easier if someone has one and can provide the dimensions. It would be easy enough with a measured drawing to cut a couple out of aluminum with a scroll saw. Anyone here happen to have one they could measure? As I understand it the piece is just a little metal gauge with a notch in the bottom that goes over the rail, and a tab that sits in the valley between teeth.

Long ago I got a Foley saw filer, which does work, but one thing missing is the gauge used to set the saw height in the carrier. I have found a resource for the instructions, but not the dimensions of the gauge. I can do it by guesswork of course, and could probably fabricate something based on that, but it would be easier if someone has one and can provide the dimensions. It would be easy enough with a measured drawing to cut a couple out of aluminum with a scroll saw. Anyone here happen to have one they could measure? As I understand it the piece is just a little metal gauge with a notch in the bottom that goes over the rail, and a tab that sits in the valley between teeth.

Do you have an image of the gauge?
I have a Foley filer (not set up currently) and a lot of the accessories.
I might have one, but I need to know what I am looking for.

Let me look in the shop, I had a Foley saw filer, tooth cutter, and a couple of those gauges. Still have the tooth cutter but junked the filer. There may still be a gauge out there.

Not sure if this is the same machine you've got. Seller says that it has all accessories included, so he might be able to help you. ...right in your backyard too.

Foley #360 Saw Grinder & #359 Trip Hammer Saw Setter

-Justin
Mine is the #200 filer, so I don't know if anything there will help. I got the filer free some years ago, used it a couple of times with slow trial and error adjustment, and set it aside, and having excavated it again, I thought it would be nice to try using it right. But I don't anticipate adding to the collection.

Ran out to my shop during a commercial and found three of them. Would you like the dimensions or I could send you one. PM me if you are interested.

Attachments

• 1030142046.jpg
    1030142046.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Well,I had some time this evening, so I scanned one of mine,scaled the photo, and traced over it in Sketchup.
The drawing is attached below.
There aren't any really critical dimensions. The main thing would be that the two gauges are identical, so that the saw blade sticks up an equal amount over the carrier bar.
If you have any questions, or I've got something wrong, please let me know.
Rick W

Last edited:
Well,I had some time this evening, ...

Thanks. That should be just what I need.

And thanks to Atwatterkent for the offer too. I should be able to make a couple from the drawing.

I've managed to do a couple of saws in the past, but it was a pain getting the blade clamped in right. I doubt I'll be making a career of this, but it should help a lot with the ones I occasionally do.

Hello all. I know this is a really old thread, but...I'm really hoping someone is still paying attention.

So, I've used this site as a resource for years and normally find the information I need by searching, but in this case I came up short here and on the web. I have a Foley model 61 saw filer that I bought probably 2 years ago but it's missing the blade carriers. I've never seen one in person or I would not be asking this now. Does anyone that has one of the saw filers and the blade carriers able to take some pictures of the saw carriers with a ruler in the pictures for scale? I would like to try to make myself some of the saw carriers. (I know that sometimes they come up on feebay for sale, but I have lots more metal sitting around than money and a spot welder, mig, and stick, and am fairly competent in metal forming. If someone was willing to take measurements and provide dimensions with material thickness, that would be awesome. Thank you in advance for anyone reading this!

I have one with the saw carriers. They aren’t anything special. The racks for the retoother is harder to make. If I haven’t snapped a couple photos for you in a few days, send me a PM to remind me.

There is now a website devoted to Foley sharpening equipment: Foley Saw Filers and Retoothers
There is a drawing of the carrier bars there.
There is also a Foley user's Facebook group.
Hope this helps.
Rick W

BTW,
Here is another copy of my drawing that Photobucket isn't holding hostage:

Attachments

• Foleysawgage_zpsd925b3f0.jpg
    Foleysawgage_zpsd925b3f0.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Thank you so much for the link. I visited many pages in my search and I think even visited that main page but was looking at it on my phone which didn't seem to load all of that page so I didn't even know there was a second page of posts. I bookmarked the page with all the dimensions.
Thanks again.

Back