What's new
What's new

Double-lock drawer face joint

I've never seen that before. It looks like it could be done completely on the tablesaw. It would be a clever way to make lots of joints quickly once you are set up. Thanks for sharing!

Looks like they accommodated the grain-oriented weakness of the side-facing tenon by making it twice as wide as the front one... so that's good. Much quicker than dovetails, but still probably not as strong. Looks fine for lightly-loaded drawers.

Sadly, no history input though.

Chip

Seen them or a modified version in lane cedar chests.

Fast and simple with table saw critical or easier if blade width "just right".

Set correctly then cut laying down then flip and cut from end without changing anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I've never seen that before, but I like it. Locks the joint in 2 directions, allows the drawer bottom dado to be completely hidden from view, and sliding the bottom in keeps the joint from mechanically coming apart. Also dead simple to cut as well. Thanks for posting.

Yes Pattnmaker I agree.
When I get to my shop Monday I’ll make some and see what I think, looks like a joint that a machinist would have fun with.

Such joints might have been referred to as "cash register joints". At least I know of a similar one that is called by that name. Looks like a good joint!

IMG_1232.jpg

Finally took the time to cut some small drawer joints and once set up is seems that I can get a nice snug fit with good repeatability.

I've seen that on sewing machine cabinets. It seems to be a joint which can be made on a production basis using relatively simple tooling.

Nice fit Lanso!

It is certainly looks to be an easy joint to set up on a tenoner. One top or bottom tenon spindle with a saw on it, one cope head for each part. Though slightly different set ups for the side vs the end. If you include the trim saw, two guys on a through feed DET could make what, about a bazillion drawers worth of parts per hour! :)

smt

Back