What's new
What's new

Drill Chuck Adapter for Dewalt D28499 9-Inch Angle Grinder

ClemSemBem

Plastic
Hey Everyone,

I'm in need of drilling many 1" holes into some timbers with an 18" auger bit. I currently own a Dewalt D28499 grinder as mentioned in the title and am wondering if anyone on here has any idea of how to enable that tool to take a drill chuck to essentially function as a large drill for using this 18" auger bit. I'd prefer to do it this way so I don't have to buy a tool right now (although I do love doing that)since I have a what is essentially a perfectly good 120V, 15A, motor with high torque sitting around; plus I just got that one and it's a beast on metal but I don't have any uses for it right now and want to play with it more!:)

Thanks in advance.

Bit: Shop Southwire 1-in Woodboring Auger Drill Bit at Lowes.com

I don't know what tool you have but putting 1" holes in anything with a grinder at speed sounds like a disaster waiting to happen! I think about that auger bit whipping and sending pieces everywhere and all kinds of other things that could go wrong.
I'd suggest getting a slow speed heavy duty electric drill and ditch any notion of using a grinder.
Dan

Google shows that grinder turns 6,500 rpm.

18" long drill bit is gonna whip and then turn 90 degrees (into your shins)

And what dia. wood boring bit are you proposing to use ?

I'm not recommending this, but the only way that would be remotely safe is to use a speed reducer or "snap" the trigger continually to keep the rpm lower (around 1500max).

And always have the bit in contact with the wood, pressing firmly to ensure it's supported and can't whip as described. If you have a biker jacket wear it, and heavy pants. Chainsaw garb might be good.

Seriously - I've ripped those long auger bits to pieces with an AEG 900 watts pistol drill and 500 rpm, (and it's a right bastard when they break off in a hole!! ) .................@ 6000 rpm and 2 KW +, if not suicide for the operator is certain death for the auger.

I'm not with the sky-is-falling crowd above. Just make sure that your adapter includes proper gearing so as to run the drill at the speed it wants (300 rpm or lower) while the grinder motor is at the peak of its speed/torque curve (6500 rpm). Can you do that cheaper than you can buy the right drill? That depends on your skill level.

metalmagpie

I'm not with the sky-is-falling crowd above. Just make sure that your adapter includes proper gearing so as to run the drill at the speed it wants (300 rpm or lower) while the grinder motor is at the peak of its speed/torque curve (6500 rpm). Can you do that cheaper than you can buy the right drill? That depends on your skill level.

metalmagpie

"Proper gearing" ???

OP is has indicated wanting cheapest as possible, cheaper than a HF angle drill ?

Or, uh, flesh and blood...

and bone. Shards of bone that is.

Even with a speed reducer it would still be kind of awkward. A big assed drill can't be that much at Harbor Freight, and it'll be good enough to get the job done and then some. You'll probably find all kinds of uses for it after as well.
Countless times I've put off buying the proper tool for a job because I didn't think I'd use it enough to be worth it. After I finally buy it, after struggling for years without it, I usually wind up finding uses for it never even thought of.
Rarely, if ever, have I regretted buying a tool in the long run.

Back