What's new
What's new

DRO for a table saw bevel and height adjustment ?

PhotoBobBarker

Plastic
I was looking at a few table saws (powermatic and a few Grizzly models) and noticed that a few had built in digital bevel indicators. I was wondering in anyone had tried or knew of some creative ways to add them to a table saw? I've looked and searched many a forum, but I can't find anyone who even mentioned the idea... Or I'm not looking for the correct terminology.

Anyone have any ideas? I think I could figure out how to rig the mounting, the issue is the pickup/encoder and DRO to use. I thought about a rotary, but I don't know if I could keep in clean enough (it would be in a table saw after all).

Thanks for any ideas,

Anthony

I have an old Powermatic 66, and I use a little cube-shaped magnetic 'protractor' angle display for blade angle. Set on table, calibrate to zero, then stick on blade and crank it over. Bonus is you can change the 'sense' of how it displays by changing which side you calibrate it on... so you can do degrees off vertical, or degrees off horizontal if you wish. Works fine, and was $40 or so when I bought it. Obviously not a spinning blade solution.

I don't know if putting a straight DRO scale on the degree-arc pointer on the front of the saw would be accurate enough to make chips by. Convincing the DRO to display degrees is just software, but getting a DRO that allows you to dig into that software and apply a factor to the display may be a challenge. It will be repeatable, but not actually accurate, because the single correction factor wouldn't take into account the arc in the original pointer display.

Height would be easier to build-in, since measurement anywhere along the lift mechanism would work as long as it's a 1:1 ratio to height, and you can mount a DRO for remote (topside) display.

I have a "DRO" scale waiting to be installed on my lunchbox planer, and it's basically a caliper with large display, oriented for vertical use. No remote display option, but there are several out there that do allow that, for not a lot of money. DRO pros, maybe? Lost the bookmark...

The Biesemeyer Blade Finder system has been around for over 30 years. Totally enclosed system for height and angle using tilt sensors. One sensor for angle is mounted to trunion and the sensor for height is mounted to the motor. The sensors are mounted 90 degrees to each other. Have both.

I found a pack of Fredericks Tilt Sensors at a good price. Might use them one day.

Tilt Sensors & Switches | TrueTILT™ - Fredericks Company

With some experience you can estimate how much rotation on a crank handle it takes for creeping up the saw blade to a final depth. I use a piece of scrap wood and a caliper. Get within +/- .005. Sometimes a little better.

Back