What's new
What's new

early 1940's Delta DP600 with power feed, questions

devrep

Plastic
hello, new here, I recently retired and moved to the florida west coast to be closer to fishing the mangroves. I bought a new to me house with a nice detached shop and started collecting some nice tools to replace the junk I've been using most of my life. work always kept me from getting too serious about wood and metal working.

I think this press is more a metal working machine but wasn't sure where to post about it on here.

this machine popped up on craigslist about 30 minutes from my house yesterday. I spoke to the guy on the phone and as it checked all my boxes I jumped in my truck and headed his way. I was about 10 minutes from his place when he calls me and says "jeez, I was trying to move it with my hand truck and it rotated and fell over. put a big dent in the motor housing"

needless to say I obviously bought it anyway, for a much better price, but would rather have paid more. he also broke the cast iron guard on the back under the motor that covers the lower pully for the power feed unit.

I'm hoping someone has ideas on a replacement motor that will bolt right on. The original motor is a 1 hp, 1725 RPM Delta Repulsion-Induction motor with 3/4" output shafts. It is huge and weighs about 90 lbs. The shaft size I think is critical for using the pulleys. I took the press apart today for cleaning and I don't think I'm going to put the power feed back on as I really have no use for it so I won't need a motor with the bottom output shaft.

would really have liked to have kept the original motor but the case is badly bent out of round and its binding up the stator. I took it apart 3 times today and tried to get it back in shape but the windings are attached to the case so you really can't massage it much. I've looked on ebay and the only ones like mine are 3450 rpm and are very expensive.

any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• rt side.jpg
    rt side.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 480
Well, a location of "Florida" is way too big for me to search for you but the first thing I would do is take it to a motor repair shop and see what they would charge to fix it.

Steve

thanks Doug, I didn't know about the adaptor sleeves and wasn't smart enough to think of it. I have an old JATDP (Just Another Taiwanese Drill Press) I've had for about 10 years, It has a nice 1hp Dayton motor 110/220)that I don't think was original but has run like a champ during my ownership. I could put that on my new/old DP. A shame to not have the period motor but one might turn up at some point.

Nice, not too many that old that don’t have Swiss cheese tables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice, not too many that old that don’t have Swiss cheese tables
I thought something looked odd about it, not a single hole! - that's amazing :D

devrep said:
anyone know why I'm only getting thumbnail pics to post?
As I understand it, that's how all images appear on these boards?

Bruce Lee said that all martial arts come down to two hands and two feet. Maybe a few fingers if you poke someone in the eyes.

I find a foot switch frees up both hands. Then I can use both hands to position work and locate punch marks. And with a drop-down magnifier the drilling operation is fast and accurate. That is for wood drilling.

Back