What's new
What's new

Elusive Griggio SC 3000 Rebuild

Jpayton23

Plastic
It is with great frustration and possibly regret, I reach out in desperate need of help with this project. My faith in the internet is dwindling as I cannot for the life of me find any information on the saw I purchased; Griggio SC 3000. First priorities, shredded cable that adjusts the alignment of the scoring blade; I have faith I can replace that without phoning a friend. Next is more cosmetic, I'm not sure who decided to unleash the contact cement all over the... everything but any chemical cleaner advice would be most appreciated. I saved the best for last, replacing all the bearing on the slider, cleaning the phenolic ways, and assess the inner roller. The bearings mount to the aluminum slide via an expandable threaded insert. The bearing is contained on the stud with a circlip, which is off center to the threaded insert (to allow up/down adjustment). My first attempt to pull one bearing (to get replacements) unfortunately taught me how fragile those conical inserts are. I was too bummed about my rather ferocious attempt at refurbishing until I noticed there is another bearing missing in the middle of the slide on the blade side. So, I have one bearing to take to a bearing supply house however I'm anxious to try and replace them if I can't find the "mounts?" for them. I also must note I'm an ambitious trim carpenter/cabinet maker by trade, not a machinist, so forgive me if my nomenclature isn't up to snuff. I will add pics later when I get home that hopefully paint a better picture than my verbal explanation.

Contact cement is best removed with contact cement cleaner. Lacquer thinner can work, but it is a "thinner". The contact cleaners loosen the bond but do not dissolve the cement. It will come off in shreds, may need soaking. Thinners dissolve the stuff along with your paint and some plastic parts. Thinners will take more work because you will be spreading thinned out cement around and need a lot more soaked wipes.
Not sure about Griggio. They were imported but have not seen anything about them in a long time. A shop owner I knew bought one of their saws and told me I was crazy for buying Altendorfs because of the much higher price. Had his about 6 months before he came to my shop to see mine. First thing he did was pull the table all the way back and try to wiggle it. Nope. I made a few cuts and it blew his mind. YOU STAND OVER THERE? Seems he and his crew found the saw very awkward to use because they were standing on the RIGHT side of the slider. Idiot!

I appreciate the advice scruffy887 on the thinner, that was certainly going to be one of the first infantry to combat that contact cement. I’m not sure if that story was intended to restore faith in my abilities, but it did, perhaps there’s more than one way to skin a cat... I think that fella was skinning raccoons or something. I took a picture of the most unique part I have ever laid my eyes on. Perhaps because it would never exist in a snowblower or lawnmower or perhaps I’m truly out of my league on this “restoration” project.

Next project, how to I post a picture.... faith fades fast

Back