What's new
What's new

help setting up power feed on table saw.

stoneaxe

Stainless
I have never used a power feed on a table saw.

I want to rip repetitive small strips 1/2" wide by 2" thick ,off the edge of a 8/4 board. Thin strip to the fence, so it can hold the same position as the board gets narrower.

The assumption is the feed rolls should engage both sides of the cut, and be centered over the blade, so the blade sticks up a bit in-between the gap between the rolls. This puts the feeder right tight to the fence, unless I use a low fence that the feeder can overlap. Seems like that would give better engagement of the thin strip against the fence.

Dust collection is a question also- there is good dust pick up under the table, but it is hard to get a port positioned above the cut with the feeder in the way. I have contemplated cutting a 2" hole in the feeder, in the thin metal shroud that covers the rolls.Then a 2" vac hose could be hooked up right above the blade.
any advice on this?
thanks, stoneaxe.

You can face the existing fence with another strip (waxed Micro-lam plywood, or solid hardwood) that is just under the height of the unloaded wheels. Or ever above, but with wheel cut-outs. I've done it. Either screws though the existing fence, double sided carpet tape, or clamps onto existing, placed above the work feed line, with a cut-out where the feeder fits.

That said, count on jointing the edge of the 8/4 b board every few strips. 2 reasons - there will likely be a small pressure pushing the tail of the stock side into the blade as the product side cuts free. The end starts to round. Also, cutting rips off a wider board perhaps especially thicker stock can often release stresses that cause it to start bowing.

Your vac idea sounds interesting. I'd size it for a plug of some sort to keep sawdust out when not using the vac.

smt

My experience with a Holzher(?) feed on tablesaw was typically in cutting fiberglass/epoxy laminate (G-10) with diamond blade, but the principles seem similar. I recall the feed pressure was slightly biased toward the fence in order to maintain the dimensional accuracy of the cut-off part, and to Stephen's point, that does lead to a bit of rubbing of the stock on the tail end. I do not remember if this bias was adjustable as a function of setup, or if the feeder was just built that way. It was the '70's, who can remember?

I will say, for repetitive work in tough materials, feeders are truly a help. THAT I remember.

Back