What's new
What's new

Hollowing logs

Arthropod

Plastic
Hey folks, I´ve been looking for a method to hollow round logs (about 8 inches long and 4,7 inches in diameter) for commercial use.
Since I want to sell the products, the process should be quite fast and result in a clean hole. My best idea for now is attaching the log on a metal lathe and drill it with a forstner bit. Since I haven`t tried this, do you think it is even possible or can u come up with a better method?

Thx for any feedback!

Trepanning.

You could make the bit from a steel tube, and braze on some HSS
toolbits.

I would use compressed air to clean the chips.

And you'll have a usable core when done.
Waste not.

Hey folks, I´ve been looking for a method to hollow round logs (about 8 inches long and 4,7 inches in diameter) for commercial use.
Since I want to sell the products, the process should be quite fast and result in a clean hole. My best idea for now is attaching the log on a metal lathe and drill it with a forstner bit. Since I haven`t tried this, do you think it is even possible or can u come up with a better method?

Thx for any feedback!

Might help if we knew the purpose.

Easiest Way To Hollow Out A Log? - Geocaching Topics - Geocaching Forums

hollowing a log - YouTube

How to Make a Solid Wooden Tube! 1pc of Wood - YouTube

It would help even more to know how big is "hollow". Sounds like the same dimension as "up".

About 20 years ago I built a custom hole saw out of a pipe with two brazed in carbide cutters so that he could hollow out cedar logs to make birdhouses. I think he used it in a Shopsmith machine, it worked but not that well, you needed to retract the cutter often to clear the chips.

this

bosch-auger-bits-sf3621-64_1000.jpg

About 20 years ago I built a custom hole saw out of a pipe with two brazed in carbide cutters so that he could hollow out cedar logs to make birdhouses. I think he used it in a Shopsmith machine, it worked but not that well, you needed to retract the cutter often to clear the chips.

I would think a wider cut, with the same pipe thickness, might provide
more clearance for chips.
Yes, you would waste more wood in chips, but better than making them
all in to chips with a regular drill.

Back