What's new
What's new

How to remove pulley from Delta 11-990

handyguy

Plastic
Hi,
I need to remove the front pulley on a Delta 11-990 drill press. There is a 15/16" bolt holding it on the shaft, however it is flush inside the pulley. Wondering how to remove it?
Thanks for the help!
pulley.jpgexploded-dia.jpg

Use a hammer and punch. Place the punch against the side of the nut, as close to the corner as possible, and give it a whack. Or, go to harbor freight, buy a 15/16" socket, and grind it down until it fits into the pulley recess.

I do have a socket that fits, but don't know which way to turn it, or how to lock the spindle from turning without damaging it.

Meaning CCW to remove?

Correct. Use an impact gun if you have one. I would wire brush the threads and apply penetrating oil for a few days. It is probably not on too tight. It is likely a keyed and tapered fit. There may be a keyed washer under the nut.
Do not break or bend the pulley afterwards as you try to pull it up and off. A little heat should help break things free.
Bill D

Thanks for the advice. Tried with a large allen wrench and breaker bar. Unfortunately, the chuck just popped of instead! Will try some penetrating oil next. But not gonna get much leverage from the chuck...20190913_151201.jpg

As it happens, i really only needed access to a couple screws under the pulley - i was able to finagle those out with a small screw driver. Never was able to remove the pulley. Even tried removing the quill, but that still leaves the pulley in with a compression fit bearing.

Back