What's new
What's new

How to ship 16' lumber?

richard newman

Titanium
Wondering how one would ship 1500 bd ft of mostly 15-16' lumber?

I have a stash of really old Honduras mahogany that I need to move from a storage room. It's too long to get into the elevator up to my shop, so I'd rather sell it than cut it or put it in my garage. Got an inquiry from someone in Louisiana asking if I would ship it.

How does one ship stuff that long by common carrier? I have a pallet jack and easy access 8' wide loading dock. Band it to a pallet on each end? Just band it and roll it in on pipes?

I think I'll post this wood on the for sale forum in case anyone is interested.

I have a stash of really old Honduras mahogany that I need to move from a storage room. It's too long to get into the elevator up to my shop, so I'd rather sell it than cut it or put it in my garage. Got an inquiry from someone in Louisiana asking if I would ship it.

How does one ship stuff that long by common carrier? I have a pallet jack and easy access 8' wide loading dock. Band it to a pallet on each end? Just band it and roll it in on pipes?

I think I'll post this wood on the for sale forum in case anyone is interested.
put wood on a cart with wheels and 20 footers will roll into most trucks. better to have wheel brake or strap down good so dont move during truck ride

Sea can can if you want to ship. Less likely to get destroyed in trucking. By my back of the hand calcs, you’d have space left over in a standard twenty footer.

But in New York area, I would think there would be eager buyers for old mahogany. It may be worth a word to smt on this site who’s not far from you.

L7

There are independent haulers who move irregular stuff for a living, like antique cars, tractors, trucks, etc. Yesterdaystractors.com has a forum just for making those connections, you might try there. Uship.com is designed for those folks, I used them once and had a bad experience but hopefully that was an isolated instance. You could also look through craigslist and facebook marketplace and etc to see who is hauling in your direction. I had one couple who were coming this way to pick up a compact tractor in their horse trailer, who hauled some box making machinery to me to help them pay for the gas for the trip, I think that was through Yesterday's Tractors.
Are there any car trailer builders near you? They have to transport the finished trailer to the buyer, empty, lots of those get loaded for the trip with something.

How does one ship stuff that long by common carrier?

Common carrier? UPS-Freight is a standard run-of-the-mill LTL carrier.

Other than that, just about any other LTL trucking company will do just fine.
Might be intimidating for a first time user, but believe me, it is actually no different than any other shipping method.
In most cases you create a BOL ( Bill Of Lading ) online, print it out, attach it to the crate you're shipping and call for a pickup which usually comes by the end of the day, even after hours.
With a loading dock, you're all set and no need for a truck with a loading gate or ramp.

If you don't have an account, you may need to call to find the actual rates and they do try to suck you in to create an account or else the rate will be in the stratosphere.
But, creating an account is really simple, specially if you remain as a pre-paid account.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have shipped LTL in the long distant past, but everything was either on a pallet or crated and fork-liftable. It's the length and quantity of this lumber that seemed daunting.

At age 74, I have more than enuf of this stuff already in the shop, just don't need the long boards. Not going to take heroic efforts, time for someone else to have the honor of possession.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have shipped LTL in the long distant past, but everything was either on a pallet or crated and fork-liftable. It's the length and quantity of this lumber that seemed daunting.

At age 74, I have more than enuf of this stuff already in the shop, just don't need the long boards. Not going to take heroic efforts, time for someone else to have the honor of possession.

FedEx will ship freight up to 21' and 20,000 lbs.

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/services/FreightPackagingGuidelines.pdf

no clue on price.

dee
;-D

I just PM'ed Richard with info for John Terry or Wood Special Products in Santa Rosa Beach FL. He is a professional Lumberman who has shipped exotic wood from around the world. If anyone knows how too, he will. I did a class at his company last Jan. I didn't take pictures of his wood piles of wood, just scraping pics. Pics: long shelves are behind Adan Booth and John was grinding on his 36" shaper ways, John is in the background behind Keith Rucker who is scraping the shaper ram.

Attachments

• 20200118_083412.jpg
    20200118_083412.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200118_154429.jpg
    20200118_154429.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 20200117_133907.jpg
    20200117_133907.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 84

I have a stash of really old Honduras mahogany that I need to move from a storage room. It's too long to get into the elevator up to my shop ...

How about using the elevator shaft? I went to an auction a few years ago in Oakland which had a really nice and large Monarch lathe in the basement shop. Easily 16' long. They said the buyer would need to remove the lathe via the elevator shaft. That is how it got in and it was the only way to get it out. Properly rigged of course.

I can't offer much that hasn't been said as far as actually shipping it, but if your time frame for moving it isn't "immediately", If you price it right, I'd bet you could unload that pretty easily to people willing to come get it themselves if you advertise it in the right spots. I wouldn't bother with CL or FB though, I'd go post at Sawmillcreek or one of the other woodworking forums. (assuming you can't sell it here)

Though you might want to offer it in 500 BF lots rather than only the entire 1500.

Back