What's new
What's new

I made some wooden thresholds out of Ipe and it was a pain

dcsipo

Diamond
3/4" Ipe on edge on the table saw at 10 degrees sorta like a panel raising cut, of course i burnt the hell out of it, there has to be a better way. I do not want to do it by hand, and i do not have a shaper. The router route is not an option either, 3 HP router to swing a 4" bit does not seem like fun. The cut is quite deep about 2 and 7/8 and to hold the board in place one needs feather boards on bow ends which tend to pinch things....source of smoke.

Would it be better to use a stack dado? it seems to be a lot stiffer than a ripping clade, but it also would take more power to run. I have a 3 HP Unisaw. Good thing is that i have enough for now, but if i need to make it again...i want a better way.

dee
;-D

Maybe use an angled sled that can be run through a planer that has carbide knives(carbide absolutely necessary). The stock is clamped into a receptacle on the sled which holds it at the right angle and presents it to the cutter.

Slower speed knives so less/no burning.

Maybe use an angled sled that can be run through a planer that has carbide knives(carbide absolutely necessary). The stock is clamped into a receptacle on the sled which holds it at the right angle and presents it to the cutter.

Slower speed knives so less/no burning.

Duh. I could even make some moulder knives i have a planer moulder, not a stellar one it is a Jet :). but works. Did not think of that.

dee
;-D

just a shim under the work get's the lions share off in the planer. Double stick tape is your friend!
If you need a "step", that takes a saw or a moulding operation.

I just ran an 8 degree thresh in oak through the planer today. piece of cake

I know you've got it sorted now, but for the "next times", a scarfing jig and a router will do it, too. Used in boatbuilding for long tapers to join lapstrake and conventional planks, and other elements longer than available stock. Googleable.

Chip

When I made some thresholds out of oak, I used a router with the appropriate bit and made repeated passes exposing a little more cutter with each pass. Worked like a champ.

Rick

Back