What's new
What's new

I need some pricing help to settle an estate

maynah

Stainless
I’m helping a friend settle an estate and need help with some pricing. I know metalworking but industrial woodworking is a whole new world to me. The owner was a very talented woodworker who was known for his staircases, but he could do most anything. I’m not looking for that pie in the sky, end of the rainbow buyer. I just want a middle of the road estimate and we can adjust as we see fit. Let’s consider the machines are in good, usable condition. Some may have accessories that would add to value and comments on what to look for would help. Example: steady and follow rest plus collets if it was a metal lathe, etc. These machines have been sitting in an unheated shop for a few years and may have some surface rust that can easily be dealt with. And we’ll probably do that before any sales. Let me know if I’m leaving out anything that would be helpful to know. This shop is in western Maine, an hour from Portland, 3 hours from Boston.
Any wisdom and insights are much appreciated by the family, (and me).

Stenner

Attachments

• IMG_4505.jpg
    IMG_4505.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_4521.jpg
    IMG_4521.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_4522.jpg
    IMG_4522.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 428
Onsrud pin router

Attachments

• IMG_4506.jpg
    IMG_4506.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_4504.jpg
    IMG_4504.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4549.jpg
    IMG_4549.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 234
Is this one saw or two saws just close to each other?

Attachments

• IMG_4511.jpg
    IMG_4511.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_4513.jpg
    IMG_4513.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_4514.jpg
    IMG_4514.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 255
3 machines-- I'll stop posting for a bit.
I'm sure model numbers would help.
I was a bit rushed and just took a picture if I could see them.
I'll see if I can get model #s.

Attachments

• IMG_4525.jpg
    IMG_4525.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_4524.jpg
    IMG_4524.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_4527.jpg
    IMG_4527.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 289
Alright I will throw a few numbers out. Stenner resaw $8000.00. Pin router $2500.Griggo. I can't tell what it is. Shaper? SCMI sliding table saw.$4000. edge sander $1500. Another sander I don't recognize. Mortising machine.$1500. I also have commercial machines for sale, they are not selling Bob

Thanks Bob, I appreciate that.

Here's a big Tannewitz but its not pristine.

Attachments

• IMG_4517.jpg
    IMG_4517.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_4519.jpg
    IMG_4519.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_4518.jpg
    IMG_4518.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_4516.jpg
    IMG_4516.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 219
Here's a stair building fixture.
Are the clamps specific to stairs?

Attachments

• IMG_4507.jpg
    IMG_4507.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_4548.jpg
    IMG_4548.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_4529.jpg
    IMG_4529.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 221
Thanks for the looks at my post so far. I'm almost always on the antique forum here and I know what It's like when someone joins with a crappy craigslist picture of a lathe and asks, "what's it worth". That's pretty much what I've done here. Bob has given me a general idea which is what I was looking for. I know I need to have the owners clear the machines off, find any model numbers, specs, etc, take better pictures and then I will have better results. Hopefully this will jump start the sellers and they can proceed with the sales. And once I have the model #s any machine can be googled and I should have an easier time finding the information I'm looking for. Again, thanks for your time.

A couple places you can look are irsauctions and exfactory. Irsauctions seems to be searchable and you can see what things sold for. They are going to have similar machines vs some other sites. It might even be worth it to ask them about doing an auction for these things.

A couple things that may affect value to a buyer are if you can load the machines and if they can be ran and tested. Typically the people looking for these machines are going to know what it takes to get one moved etc, but if there is a forklift onsite to load and someone can crate a machine up for shipping it, the market will be much better and net more money to the sellers.

I'd get them cleaned off, and dolled up for presentation and I would do a youtube video of them running and maybe even cut some wood if you have that capability. Even a quick and dirty video without any editing does wonders. I recently sold a machine that the buyer told me that the video I made of it pushed him over the edge to go ahead and buy it. He drove 11 hrs to get it, so the video was a good as he could get without being there.

The Griggio is a tilting spindle shaper. There are 2 saws there, the SCMI is a slider and the other is unknown, probably a normal cabinet saw.

BTW, the door in the door in the background is pretty sweet.

It looks the old owner did some nice work. If you had a few pics of the nicest work to come out of his shop that could be posted with the machine pics, might be helpful to sell them,(along with the video). "Usually" high end work is not done on clapped out machines rescued from the scrap man.

I'm sure these are very nice machines, but used commercial wood working machines generally do not sell well. Be prepared to sell these for scrap value. There is no question of their value. The question is finding someone who will take them. The big market for wood machines is the home, hobbyist market. These machines are large and take power that generally will not be readily available at a residence. That leaves your audience to be commercial businesses. That said, now you have to advertise these where those folks look. The most likely way is a commercial auction house. I truly wish you luck and you will need luck to move these.

You're unlikely to get very much for these machines. They're too big for even the most ambitious hobbyist, and too old for a commercial shop. I'd put em up for a decent price, and hope that someone bites, but I think they're going to end up going for close to scrap prices. Some of the newer stuff like the SCMI saw you might get lucky with.

Check out this auction at IRSauctions, there is alot of very similar machines and you can see what they end up going for.

I would go one step further, find a good person who likes them and wants to give them a good home. Give them away. Merry Christmas

Bob was brave to post prices, but i think they are more from a dealer perspective, and machines in CA seem to typically cost twice what they cost in the NE where we are.

The Stenner is "valuable" to a lumber yard type operation or very busy largish millworks, maybe even $5,000 & the person looking for one (if there is such currently) would not mind sending a truck a fair distance to get it. Otherwise it's a couple grand at a local auction- or less, nice as it looks.

The tilt spindle Griggio's have been know to spark bidding wars. could get $3,000 for it maybe. Otherwise, local auction, $300.

I'm watching an IRS auction near me (as others have linked) that has several edge sanders and several 36" Tannewitz bandsaws in decent shape. I doubt any will make it past $1,000.

Mortisers are difficult. That one is desirable, but unlikely to exceed $1,500 and might not bring $150 at a local auction.

You certainly have enough equipment that IRS would probably be interested in selling it for you; but i have no idea what their terms are. There are also 3 accumulaters that gather up likely machinery, then hold an IRS auction a couple/few times a year. One is near Bilerica, MA, one is near me in Hughesville PA, the other is IRS's home base in York, PA. IRS also sells consignments on "private treaty" terms instead of auction which can help you if you feel they would sell too low. Again, no idea what terms are.

Or start posting them in the FS forums on OWWM, Practical Machinist, and some of the other wood sites. :)

smt

Yea, maybe I was being too optimistic, Ca. is not Maine, and I was trying not to insult the man. You are talking to the man who paid $6000 for a broken Buss planer, and now can't get $3000.00 for it, after it has been rebuilt. Bob

Back