Ineed a larger dust collector. How large is too large
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ineed a larger dust collector. How large is too large

I've recently purchased a Powermatic 221 20", 10hp planer. The 3/4 hp 2 stage roll around Delta dust collector I've used for the last 25 years is too small to keep up with it. So, I need to find a replacement. Since I am building a new shop, I've been thinking of going to a stationary cyclone system and have found a Delta 50-904 which has a 7 1/2hp motor and 2400cfm which is a lot larger than the text book requirements for the planer or any of the other tools I will have in the shop.

Is it worth considering the Delta, especially since the price is right, or would I be better off looking at a 3-5 hp machine? My longest duct runs will be less than 40' and I probably won't ever be using more than two machines at a time.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you can power it and have room for it, I see no reason not to go with the Delta over a 5HP something else.

Either a 5HP or a 7.5HP machine can pose a problem with air circulation if your shop is decently air sealed for heating/cooling. Unless you have a pretty big space, you'll probably be locating the cyclone outside, which raises the questions of return air and/or fighting unnecessary static pressure and/or preserving your well-paid-for heating and cooling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just wondering, but instead of replacing your collector, what about adding to it? Multiple dust collectors, one turned on for small producers, more than one turned on for larger. Balance may be an issue, of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That Delta will work fine. Your limiting factor is chip capacity of a 55 gal drum. Keep an eye on that drum because once full all chips go into the second drum with the filter bag. Major mess to empty once the second drum overflows up into the filter bag.
    I have that model connected to a Weeke Point to point with router. Works for me. But for a planer you need more barrels. I have a bigger system that used to fill up plastic bags. Those bags are not cheap and total PITA to dump. I made a big long steel hopper that just fits between the forks and has bomber doors on the bottom. Lift over dumpster and trip the lever.
    Does OSHA get involved with your shop? I am not up on the latest but I thing an internal collector must be located against an exterior wall? But they prefer outside.

5. Likes AndyF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bigger motor means bigger electric bill.
    Gets even worse if the exit outdoors as in the winter you are pumping heat out of the building and in the summer pushing out A/C and trying too cool the neighborhood.
    You may want to calculate total shop air volume and how fast you are changing it.
    As noted if outside exit you can suck air in the furnace exhaust so other fresh air inlet vents become necessary.
    Assume you know the pipe size changes needed with two machines to keep the velocity constant.
    I wonder if bigger guy used with a vfd or pulley changes. Sort of the reverse of home heating systems with 3 or 4 speed fans.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Andy,how much stock will you be planing up? Production situation or occasional use? As Scruffy mentions, handling of large quantities of shavings can be a major PITA.

When I had a large shop, had a shopmade central system with a big hopper that held 8 of those giant contractor cleanup bags of shavings and dust. 3 hp, with a big cast iron buffalo forge blower. Blast gates on all the machines, was enuf for a 20" planer or 36" wide belt. Had a local raku potter who would come by for the shavings.

In my smaller shop, with the same machines, using a few 1-1/2hp Jet and Delta units. Works ok, but I don't take huge cuts on either machine. And very modest volumes of wood.

8. Likes AndyF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The PM 221 is an old cast iron planer and those machines need more cfm than new ones. I run old iron and a 7.5 hp impeller is what I need. If you find you need less, put a vfd on the system and throttle the hz down a little. More likely you will find you want to speed it up when running a machine at the end of the line. The working cfm range through piping, fittings, and restrictions inside the machine will be more like 1500-1800 cfm. Run 8" mains and 6-7" drops to the large machines and make sure the filters are decent. If bags, get new ones from American Fabric Filter and oversize them. Additional surface area for cloth bags gives better airflow and filtration. Dave

10. Likes AndyF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckerkumm View Post
    If bags, get new ones from American Fabric Filter and oversize them. Additional surface area for cloth bags gives better airflow and filtration. Dave
    This for sure! For my 3hp system, I used a pair of custom made 30" diam x 10'ht bags, I think from those guys. They were open on the bottom and went over a pair of short cardboard barrels w/ plastic bags in them to make handling fine dust easy. Reducing back pressure made a huge difference!

12. Likes AndyF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful responses. I ended up purchasing the dust collector and hope to install it next month once construction of my new shop building is complete.