What's new
What's new

Information needed building a cut-off saw

Forrerwoodworks

Plastic
Hello
Im in need of information on cut-off saws.

Im currently making a product that requires multiple 3" cuts from 3/4 x 3" cedar lengths of up to 16'

I'm currently stacking 5) 3/4 x 3" x 16' pieces side by side.
I have a stop that is setup at 3".
I tape the power button of my kapex chop saw on.
I then push with my right hand to the left feeding the material (5 pieces) under the guarded blade till it hits the stop.
Then i use my left hand to clamp the 3" pieces
Then use my right hand to make the chop.

Im trying to increase productivity, quality(tear out), and first and foremost safety.

In 2020 ill be processing somewhere around 162,500 LF

This is much more than what ive done with the old process.

That said im looking at cut-off machines.

I dont think this is enough LF to fork out 65K to buy the tigersaw 1000
So im wondering if anyone knows what the best method of going about this is. Im looking at a couple different machines that i could pair with a tiger fence system, but cant find much information online about how well these work. Ive seen the wirlwind setup, but that seems to me like a rough cut material tool.

What i need is something that:
I can control the speed of the blade so i can reduce blow out and have a finish cut.
Auto feed so i do not have to push the material
Able to cut multiple pieces at once

What i do not know:
Do i need to be purchasing a automatic cut-off saw
If i buy a manual machine am i able to pair to be automatic with a tiger fence system?
If i buy a automatic machine do i still need to setup the automated fence system?
Is the only difference between the automatic and the manual is pushing a button to cut? and can that be bypassed by pairing with a tiger stop setup?

Machines and fence pairing im looking at.

SCM Group - formula cut 350 / Paired with a auto feeding tiger stop setup
formula cut 350 - SCM Group

Oliver 5015 - 14" / paired with a auto feeding tiger stop setup
arrow-left

Oliver 5045 - 18 automatic
arrow-left

Tigerstop
TigerStop | Automated Material Pusher and Positioner

Tigersaw 1000
Automatic Crosscut Saw & Cut Off Saw | TigerSaw 1000

I have attached the product im making.
please if anyone has any information that can help reach out

best, Jake

Attachments

• soap saver.jpg
    soap saver.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 127
A Whirlwind upcut style saw. They come up at auction all the time. The smaller one with a 14" blade would work fine. A regular tigerstop has pusher capability. The upcut has a foot switch so all you do is push the tigerstop button it advances, foot pedal it cuts, repeat. Used at auction the upcuts go for <1k RAZORGAGE.com is another positioning system. I went to a shop where the owner modified the whirlwind with an outboard linear bearing on the guard, this allowed him to put a zero insert plate in the guard that pressed down on the material so when the blade came up it was splinter free

Whirlwind jump saw will work but feeding stacked pieces? I do some internal production cutting with a simple Dewalt chop saw. Saw is tilted so the stock feeds when my left hand releases it. Goes to stop and I cut. Cutoff pieces fall in a bin. I do something sim with an Omga 350mm saw cutting aluminum parts.

I am out of the loop on the newer tech in wood shop automation, so I am not familiar with what is even offered. But, one thought I had for this is an older automatic horizontal bandsaw for metal. You can load as many sticks as will fit in the jaws which will auto clamp and auto pull the material. My experience with one is an old HEM saw, it had adjustable jaw pressure and was app 12" wide opening.

My thoughts are with one of these you can set it and forget it, they will run automatically until they run out of material. If you can figure out a stacking hopper to load, then you could potentially not babysit it for days or until your hopper to catch cut ones is full..

I am out of the loop on the newer tech in wood shop automation, so I am not familiar with what is even offered. But, one thought I had for this is an older automatic horizontal bandsaw for metal. You can load as many sticks as will fit in the jaws which will auto clamp and auto pull the material. My experience with one is an old HEM saw, it had adjustable jaw pressure and was app 12" wide opening.

My thoughts are with one of these you can set it and forget it, they will run automatically until they run out of material. If you can figure out a stacking hopper to load, then you could potentially not babysit it for days or until your hopper to catch cut ones is full..

Well, slow blade speed so longer cut time. Cut quality like a bandsaw... But clean out machine and fill coolant tank with wood stain. Cut and stain at the same time!

I build automated cutoff saws, and see applications like this frequently. The Tigersaw 1000 is the go-to answer for your needs, if you can justify the expense. The Whirlwind option as described above here is probably a little rough for your needs, and the discontinued status of the machines could create an issue down the road for you...
To save money on the initial setup, I would suggest looking at a saw such as a Cantek, and then coupling it with a Tigerstop system. As a base unit, the Tigerstop would allow you to create a cut list and semi-automatically feed, so you only need to cycle the saw blade manually, the Tigerstop would be set up to move the material between saw cycles. To automate the process, these types of saws can be retrofitted for fully automatic operation with their AIK kit.
Hope that helps!

I just scored an Italian 350mm automatic saw, was hoping it was a low rpm saw but it's intended for nonferrous metals, would work great for wood too. They're out there!

52fd53ec99b78d8e6556787b0d3a9663.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back