Installed the new jointer/ planer combo
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Installed the new jointer/ planer combo

I had 2 hrs off so I moved the planer /jointer into the woodshop and started assembling

2. Likes Sachmanram, mister honey liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sweet shop and equipment! I particularly like the engine lift to help get up off the couch! I could steal that idea specially late in the day...
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Couch is for the wife when I am “playing” in the shop. Tho the crane is a thought if I gotta get her to move...

5. Likes Joe Rogers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dust collection is now set up and I’m good to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your ultra-clean un-cluttered shop (with the spotless tile floor no less) gives me hives due to an alien environment, as can be observed, the AD51 is being used as an expensive workbench for the moment.

Anyway, the dust hose was always in the way, between planer-mode, jointer-mode and storage, and was like wrestling a big snake each time. My (Rube G.) solution was to put 2 pulleys, counterweight (note rope and barbells hanging parallel to the dust pipe), and strap on it. So now it's easily moved around and stored when not in use.

I don't know if they've changed the design, but on mine the feed drive mechanism has two (mystery) rubber friction rollers (one for hi, and low), to a chain-drive. The rubber disintegrated on those after about 8 years (I machined and re-lined them with polyurethane, posted a thread some time ago). So I would suggest that the feed always be left in neutral when not in use (put a big sticker on it), that will at least keep them from getting lumps and stress points.

I know folks might comment on the woodworking equipment with the metalworking, but with the 3hp cyclone collector there's virtually no dust, and if so, I cover up the lathes and mills. You will definitely lose some collection efficiency with the pvc right-angles versus v-joints of metal dust-collection pipe, and small-radius bends of the pvc. I didn't see you collector, but obviously you need lots of airflow, and planing will fill up a 55 gallon drum pretty quick. I won't get into the static-electricity debate with plastic pipe. Make Chips and have fun.

Sorry, don't know why it rotated one of the images, it's not rotated when I view it (don't know how to fix it).

img_6437.jpg img_6438.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thk u!
    You touched on the ‘hot button’ topics of pvc and static and bends.
    It has worked for me, maybe not everyone.

For the hose, I ran a solid line down to the floor and swivel with two 90 bends to allow going from one end to the other. It works well, takes weight off hose and it is out of the way for planer. (Easy to keep out of way of jointer as is on floor)

I noted in the manual that when in storage or for use on everything minus thickness planing that the “transmission” should be left in “0” not 1st.

I assume this had to do with some wear or belt/chain stretch issue. Your experience makes sense.

I will see if I can switch 1/2 way between to prevent taking a “set”

Thank u!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's that post on the friction wheels:
    PoorMan's Polyurethane Belt Welder and Friction Drive Fix on Felder Jointer-Planer

The last picture shows the drive arrangement (with newly lined wheels, the tan colored crumbles in the bottom of the machine are the remains of the old rubber coating). That picture shows the shaft coming from the motor, with the flat belt going to the cutterhead, the friction roller (one for 'low' and one for "hi" feed) is spring-loaded against the motor/belt shaft, to a large belt-pulley reduction and finally to a chain drive for the feed.

I was a bit disappointing and surprised to see such a seemingly cheesy arrangement for an expensive "high-end" tool (that's a Felder AD751), but I suppose it's OK, seems to have worked ok "except" for the disintegrating rollers, but then again, this has seen very low use overall. I assume if someone has a "variable speed feed", it must have a separate feed-motor. Other conventional planers I've had have a gearbox and chain-drive--no friction roller gizmos. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice looking machine and shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Car, thank u for the post, I am hopeful that I won’t have to do your repair the hammer.

Thx henrya