What's new
What's new

Just bought my first, & also last, Gerstner chest...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickWGMkII

Cast Iron
Here's the email I sent em:

Bought a GI532 from Penn Tool about 2 weeks ago. It just arrived via UPS. Remarkably for UPS they didn't drop it between the truck & my doorstep. However, I am very disappointed to find the box was made in China. It was accompanied by sheet of paper with a bunch of BS about "economically priced wood products blah blah blah"

These boxes are used by machinists all over the US who are currently watching their entire trade move to China. I think it's pretty bloody low that your company is helping move craftsman carpentry jobs in the same direction.

I would have rather paid more for one built here in the US. I will NOT be buying any more products from your company in the future, I'll make my own instead. If I want to buy Chinese manufactured crap I can go to Harbor Freight any time I want. That store, along with CostCo & Walmart etc is on my boycott list. As of today, your company joined them.
I'm not a happy camper :(

sorry,I was watching csi(the wife makes me)the boss on there was measuring something and the camera zoomed in on the scale,It said,MADE IN china,what the heck?????
GW

So does that mean the 1970's mint condition Gerstner oak top and bottom boxes I have are collectors' items now? I never used them because they were too pretty and I have a bunch of Kennedy boxes. I have hesitated to put the Gerstners on eBay because of the problem of designing bulletproof packaging.

Larry

As a matter of principal both my wife and I have gotten to the point where we will go out of our way to purchase US MADE even if it means buying used instead of new and having to re(paint, build, fix, etc) the item to bring it back up to snuff.

Sorry to hear about your experience...big bummer.

That's frustrating. They do say on the website that they are using American red oak for the Gerstner Internationals, but there's a pretty clear tag on each of the Gerstner Items that shows Made in the USA, no Made in USA tag on the International brand.

Maybe they will do an exchange? The similar made in USA Gerstner boxes are about 2.5X the cost from Penn@ $800.00

Or you can go right to Gerstner and do the Golden oak with Brass hardware for $1030.00, plus shipping :eek:

http://www.gerstnerusa.com/toolchests/52.htm

I got a junky riser from Grizzly, and it's great. I have no problem labeling the drawers and screwing my own hardware on the thing to retro fit and customize. It gets the job done...that's most important. I wouldn't dream of labelling an authentic box. I think those authentic Gerstner Boxes would be great for antique and collectible tools...but imo you gotta be a cool cat to buy one new and park it in the greasy shop... then bang it around moving it from station to station. I wish I could afford to do that ;)

RickWG, I'll bet you wouldn't have paid 2.5 times more, now would you ? So, it's either they make them in China or they go out of business. Which would you prefer ?

I seriously doubt they would still be in business if not for the sales and profits they glean from the "International" line, as sales of their made in USA boxes are probably way down. Esp considering there are many other competitors making similar boxes in China these days even cheaper still.

That is often the dilemma with USA vs Chinese goods, many of us will pay more for USA, like as much as 50 percent more, but not waaaaay more like 150 percent and up more, unless there is a major difference in quality. In this case we are talking about a pretty simple item where there may be no difference in quality.

Who are you blaming?...
The Gerstner Co?..or Penn Tool??
The imports have been here for a LONG time... now go look in the mirror for someone to blame..
and learn how to read...

From the Gerstner WebSite....

What is Gerstner International?

(All about the "GI" - brand compared to Gerstner USA built products and warranty information)

Click Here

http://www.gerstner-international.com/index.htm

What is "Gerstner International"?

Mission Statement

The mission of Gerstner International is to seek out manufacturing partners the world over to enable Gerstner & Sons to offer it’s customers economically priced wood products built to a benchmark of quality that will proudly uphold the Gerstner name.

In the hopes of answering a few questions - see the following:

A question, if you don’t mind:

I’ve seen tool chests [listed with your dealers] referred to as Gerstner International GI-532, GI-530 & GI-525 for extremely low prices compared to other Gerstner tool chests. I notice that they’re red oak as compared to the ones on your web site which are white oak.

If they are in fact made by your company, can you tell me what compromises have been made in their manufacture that allows [your dealers] to sell them at such low prices? And if I buy one am I getting a real Gerstner tool chest?

Gerstner Reply:

In this day and age of overseas competition we took a look at the copies of our chests already coming in to the USA and realized that there is a large demand for a good chest at an economical price. The reality is that we know most people would really like to own a Gerstner USA product, but their price is not affordable to everyone. To this end, we have been working with our overseas manufacturer for over a year to bring to market a Gerstner branded import that we are comfortable marketing under the Gerstner family of products. We have (after many versions of samples) come up with several new styles which meet this market demand.

Many Gerstner "purists" have been rather vocal in their dislike of our decision to offer an imported product since we have always been known as an example of the best of what the USA has to offer. I can sympathize with their feelings, however it is our job to insure that Gerstner USA remains in business offering our American made line of chests into our next 100 years as well. This import line has done - to date - exactly what we had hoped it would do. It has increased the awareness of the Gerstner brand name to a whole new market of people that never knew we existed before - purely because of their good looks and price points.

As a result, the Gerstner USA division is now growing in number of chests ordered for the first time in over 10 years. We have started hiring on new people for the first time in many years as a direct result the huge volume of chests sold from the Gerstner International (GI) line. Rather than send jobs and work overseas, as many companies have done, we have a true new division that has added to our overall growth as a company. For the real Gerstner "purist" - I would hope they are happy to see us take whatever steps are necessary in order to provide future generations with the same high quality American made products upon which we have established our 99 year reputation.

Are there differences in the two lines of chests? You bet! If you want the "original" Gerstner - the USA division stands ready to meet that need. If you want a really good chest at a super economical price, Gerstner International is here for you too. We have yet to have a GI series chest returned for quality issues. There are some differences in the construction methods, and there is more "play" in the fit of parts on the GI series however, we don't think you will find a better built (actual hardwood - not hardboard veneer) wood chest at such low prices. All GI chests are built with the "old style" look, with the lid pins and top corners on all the chests. The bottom line remains, we would not put our name on it if we were not happy with the quality level for the price paid.

In fact, most people who have seen the Gerstner International chests at the trade shows walk right up to them and explain to their friends that they "have the exact same chest from their Dad" - so for an initial inspection, they fool the Gerstner USA owners in the "looks" department!

It is our intention not to offer the same styles of chests made in the USA as our GI series chests. We will keep a clear and separate division between the two lines of chests. The pieces therefore are not interchangeable. GI chests are made from plain-sawn red oak whereas the USA line of oak chest are quartersawn white oak (sometimes shows up as tiger striped patterns in the wood). We stand behind the GI series chests and they are USA factory backed for service and support. We are very pleased with these chests and believe that people who buy them will be happy with them as well. The GI series chests are Gerstner chests in that they fall under the Gerstner umbrella of products. GI series owners are welcome to join our Owners Club too. To learn more about our Owners Club click Here.

If you have any individual questions or concerns I would be more than happy to help you - please feel free to contact me anytime.

Kim Campbell
VP & Marketing Manager
(937) 228-1662
[email protected]

It's a tricky situation, buying anything these days you gotta read the small print very carefully,... some of the wording and phrasing can take a couple of trys before you spot the ambiguity.

We went through this nigh on 20 years ago, Made in England etc generally priced it'self out of the market, so the manufacturers generally either outsourced or closed shop...... and it's a bitter pill to swallow.

The few remaining survivors are all top end and rely on those customers who insist on a whatever made in this country and ARE prepared to pay for it......... eg, Myford Lathes.

Maybe I'm too old and cynical, but most times I've bought the ''must have'' brand, I've felt reality didn't quite live up to the myth.

Take care. Sami.

Who are you blaming?...
The Gerstner Co?..or Penn Tool??
Bill frigging Clinton. This kinda crap just boils my piss :(

There are some differences in the construction methods, and there is more "play" in the fit of parts on the GI series
Is there ever, the fit of the parts is slacker than a whores drawers. Even the felt in the drawers has the consistancy of green cardboard. The drawer bottoms are 3mm ply....

Still, I guess I can use this junker as a "chinese blueprint" to build my own. The fit & finish isn't *that* much better than the knock-offs they sell at Home Cheapo.

& while we're on the subject of quality.. I'm still looking for some plans for an 8 legged machinists desk... Maybe I'll email Norm Abrams

Don is right. My family used to have a plant making wood cases, some simple some more elaborate than Gerstner. The details that contribute to a quality product are labor sponges. If I was still making a product simular to Gersner, and put say 2 hours of labor into it of middle low labor at 10 bucks and hour which means 15 loaded, I would have 30 in labor costs alone, 2 hours at a low 50 dollar and hour shop rate is 100 bucks, throw in 20 in materials, and that is 120 bucks cost, now the distributor doubles it and the retailer doubles it, and you you got a 600 dollar wood box. how many do you want? because that market gets pretty damn thin no matter what people say they are going to do, cheaper wins and cheaper that is ok or good quality jumps all over expensive that has some sort of patriotic appeal.

Rick,

I wouldn't have known the diff had I not ended up with an ebay purchase of an old Gerstner. I had to remove all the finish, as it was in terrible shape. But it revealed pretty incredible "flaking" and ribbons in the quarter-sawn oak.

Gerstner is right when they say they are obligated to do what they must to survive. And it shouldn't surprise us that the GI series costs a lot less then the Made in the USA series (I wouldn't want to work for what an average Chinese mfg laborer makes).

Gerstner USA is expensive (replacing the handle on my cabinet costed $50, but these are hand-made from leather Gerstner recycles from old coats!).

Gerstner will refurb an old box, but in most cases this costs as much as a new one!

If you want Gerstner USA, you might be able to trade your unit in (shipping will be costly, though), or you can buy used off ebay (but folks are proud of US Gerstners there, too).

But I do have one questions: How good is the box you received? Is it well-made?

Jim

But I do have one questions: How good is the box you received? Is it well-made?
Jim
One of the full width drawers appears to be from some hitherto unknown "bow fronted" variety. There's a full 3/16th bow so when the drawer is closed it looks like it came from a different designer...

With Gerstner, the deal is "sentimental" appeal more than anything (dear old dad had one, etc), but that ties in with "patriotic" in this country of course.

Frankly I don't see what the appeal is with the things, "real" ones or "fake" ones. I have one and have never even used it. Pretty to look at but impractical compared to the metal alternatives.

Which is ironic with me, as I used to do fine hardwood woodworking for a living. Mine is made of cherry with natural finish and sure is pretty though

While clinton did push nafta through, I don't
think he had much to do with offshoring to china.

My single complaint about the gerstner box that
I bought several years ago (pre PRC production)
is that the drawers are *really* snug in the
slides. I've been meaning to put some beeswax
or candle wax on them but haven't got a
"roundtuit."

Jim

My question is how Bill Clinton is involved?
It's his turn at the top of the blame list this week. Last week it was Ghengis Cohen the imfamous Mongolia Rabbi. Next week it's redheads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back