Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Left hand thread nut dilemma

New user; apologies if I am posting in the wrong forum.

I have a made-in-Taiwan drill press that needs a lefthand threaded nut to secure the pulleys on a tapered spindle.

As best as I can measure, the male spindle threads are EITHER: M22 x 1.5mm - or - 7/8" x 16 tpi. I believe my 16 tpi thread pitch gauge MAY be fitting a little better than my metric 1.5 gauge, but I am not certain.

I can find left hand M22 x 1.5 nuts at McMaster-Carr, but so far, I can't find any source for left hand nuts in 7/8" x 16 tpi.

McMaster-Carr offers the M22 nuts in thick or thin, and in steel (low and medium strength), stainless steel, or brass. If it turns out the actual thread size is 7/8" and not M22, is there any possibility a M22 nut might fit well enough to work?

If I get the thin brass nut, it might tolerate a misfit better than a thicker nut in hard steel, right? And brass would be less likely to damage the male threads on the spindle. On the other hand, the nut itself is more likely to strip, if thin and brass.

Any other options I have not thought of?
    thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whitworth?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Whitworth?
    Thanks for your reply. Are you asking if the threads on my drill press might be Whitworth? Or suggesting it may be possible to substitute a Whitworth nut for either 7/8" Imperial or 22mm metric threads?

I was in the bicycle business for 20 years, but except for a very few British bicycles, my experience with Whitworth is very limited.

Unfortunately, my ability to measure is limited to metric and Imperial screw pitch gauges and a 50 year pair of ELDI calipers that "might" be reliable to about 0.02mm and probably less.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Find a friend who has a lathe and ask him to make a new nut for you. A gift of certain liquids might smooth the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You said the secret work TAIWAN dollars to donuts Metric!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by runswithsizzers View Post
    New user; apologies if I am posting in the wrong forum.

I have a made-in-Taiwan drill press that needs a lefthand threaded nut to secure the pulleys on a tapered spindle.

As best as I can measure, the male spindle threads are EITHER: M22 x 1.5mm - or - 7/8" x 16 tpi. I believe my 16 tpi thread pitch gauge MAY be fitting a little better than my metric 1.5 gauge, but I am not certain.

I can find left hand M22 x 1.5 nuts at McMaster-Carr, but so far, I can't find any source for left hand nuts in 7/8" x 16 tpi.

McMaster-Carr offers the M22 nuts in thick or thin, and in steel (low and medium strength), stainless steel, or brass. If it turns out the actual thread size is 7/8" and not M22, is there any possibility a M22 nut might fit well enough to work?

If I get the thin brass nut, it might tolerate a misfit better than a thicker nut in hard steel, right? And brass would be less likely to damage the male threads on the spindle. On the other hand, the nut itself is more likely to strip, if thin and brass.

Any other options I have not thought of?
    thank you
    1.5mm and 16 TPI are different enough (1.5 is 16.93 TPI) that it won't come very close to fitting a 16 TPI thread. I doubt you could get more than 2 or 3 turns of the thread of a 22 x 1.5 nut on a 7/8 - 16 thread.
    How many threads do you have to to gauge? if it's more than 3 or 4, one should fit and one should not. Are you thread gages any good? Is the thread beat to hell?

CarlBoyd

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarlBoyd View Post
    1.5mm and 16 TPI are different enough (1.5 is 16.93 TPI) that it won't come very close to fitting a 16 TPI thread. I doubt you could get more than 2 or 3 turns of the thread of a 22 x 1.5 nut on a 7/8 - 16 thread.
    How many threads do you have to to gauge? if it's more than 3 or 4, one should fit and one should not. Are you thread gages any good? Is the thread beat to hell?

CarlBoyd
    Thanks for that. The total length of avilable male threads on the quill is about 7/16" (11mm). The threads appear to be in very good shape. I found a 7/8" 16 tpi part, and it will thread on all the way. Fit seems a little loose. I would show the part, but as a newbie, I don't think I can post links.

After I put the pulley block on the tapered quill, there are about 4-5 threads available (5/16" or 8mm).

I have ordered some left hand threaded nuts in the M22-1.5mm size for comparison. My thread gauges are nothing special. (If this is my 3rd post, I may be able to show the gauges in my next post?)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I can link to a photo on my website <here> is a photo of my measuring tools - which will probably look very primitave compared to the cool gauges you all probably have.

And <this link> shows the 7/8" 16 tpi part I found at Grizzly. I will need to modify it so it will fit in the recess in the top of the pully block, but I think I can make this work - unless I like the fit of the metric nuts better.

Thanks again to all who replied for your patience and knowledge.