What's new
What's new

Looking for a set of shaper cutters to match commercial 1x T&G

rimcanyon

Diamond
Does anyone sell a set of T&G cutters that match commercial 1x T&G profiles?

The commercial profile has a ¼" rounded & slightly tapered tongue, a ¼" square groove and all external corners are rounded.

Here is a photo of a 1x6 VG DF board with the profile I am looking to reproduce:

IMG_0543.jpg

rimcanyon:

W Moore Profiles has similar cutter sets on their web site SHAPER TOOLING. I haven't seen t&g sets with a radius on all four corners. You may have to run those on a second pass through the machine, or have a custom set made up with that profile. Also, check Leitz, CMT and Freud - they all have shaper tooling.

Regards,

DB

These guys: https://cggschmidt.net/cggwp/

To the OP - are you looking for wing cutters, or do you have corrugated or lock edge cutterheads? What quantities doo you have to run?

Altho not fun, fast or easy, I've ground plenty of HSS knives freehand on my bench grinder. For one of a kind or limited edition furniture work.

I'll guess that he does have a bench grinder and I'll also guess you have no idea how to grind moulder or shaper knives because a bench grinder wouldn't do it.
Kid two doors down from me built a place called Cedar Spa. Hot tubs ! Marin ! Peacock feathers ! (And other assorted features, ahh, the good olde dayes !)

He got the idea because he was working at a custom molding place grinding knives. Matching antique moldings on a .... bench grinder. Did all his own t&g and moldings and all the rest for the hot tubs and cedar-everything construction.

I guess he was special ? He was a nice kid ... and his girlfriend, omg. Capital OMG. What a set ... you know, the kind that are just ... well, use your imagination. Then multiply by one-point-five. She was that good.

I'll guess that he does have a bench grinder and I'll also guess you have no idea how to grind moulder or shaper knives because a bench grinder wouldn't do it

Funny how people who can't do something think no one else can.

I would venture that until, oh, say the 1960's or 70's, that most custom millwork was run with cutters ground by hand on a pedestal grinder. 2 of the old mill shops that i used to get lumber from in the 70's & 80's had a string of wheels of various profiles strung up on a common axle and the grinder moved among them as necessary. Like hollow and round plane sets, they won't directly make your profile, but the assortment along with some hard edge/corner make the process fluid. I just change wheels on and off one spindle, hand tight nut between changes. I don't even use a rest, nor did many of the "old" guys.

Up to about a 1,000 ft, profiles can easily be run one knife. Remember: for smoothness, a 1 knife cutterhead is the only type that is always in perfect joint.

:)

smt

PS: Probably one of the difficulties for some starting to grind is that they don't avail themselves of information regarding grinding wheels. If you can only have one, a 60J 8 or better vitrified aluminum oxide wheel is a good starting place. I mostly use 46J, again fairly open, since mouling knives will be detailed and honed with hand slips anyway. Old gray SiC wheels of unknown spec that typically come with a pedestal grinder, usually either too hard or too soft, would certainly be a source of frustration. The type wheels needed are usually found sized for surface grinders, with 1-1/4" or larger holes, and need bushed for a pedestal type grinder. A single point diamond dresser is an essential as well.

To be fair, my experience has been with Weinig high speed moulders running 6 knife hyro-lock heads at a feed rate of 400 FPM, so the idea of making a knife with a bench grinder didn't fit the profile..no pun intended.:)

Stuart

I would be happy to make them for you. We make HSS corrugated knives. You would need a small corrugated head to run them in. I am not sure of the cost each, but I would guess at around $110 - $150 per set of two. I would need a sample of the moulding, or a dxf profile of both cutters in order to price.

If you wanted carbide 3 wing cutters, it would be more expensive, again just a guess at around $250.00 per profile for that size.

Back