Make your own corrugated knife shaper cutterhead? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
    Green - I posted a corrugated head with corrugated knives as my first answer to the Q, how hard is it to do in the shop?
    This is the wood forum on the world's largest machining site. Many who post here, including Richard and I make tooling as a matter of course.

You failed to answer the question, you hi-jacked the thread to discust other tooling including Euro cutterheads, to further state &/or infer that making cutterheads was improvident, and you keep trying to start a pi$$ing match. Have you yet added anything useful to the consideration of building tooling?
    Actually, I suggested the use of a pinned style head as the corrugated index surface is replaced with a pair of pins- a simpler feature to machine without special tooling. I made comment on the posting of photos only slightly related to the topic- not really a head capable of taking a corrugated/serrated back knife, more a style I know as a lug head; hence my question. I apologise for clarifying the terminology and thank you for your condescending answer.
    I recall Richard engaged with the suggestion and there was some discussion, in fact. So not really a hijack, and I don't recall asking the nebulous "quantify" questions- do I need to "discuss" in a 3000 word essay?
    The contribution, in case you overlooked it, was the consideration of an alternative and I'm sincerely sorry you don't feel this is useful. Feel free to moderate it out if you would like to push your own barrow here; IMHO it's more relevant than a set of stacked heads that make T&G profile or some heads that may be unwelcome on a machine without full mechanical feed.

(Above) in recognizing your hi-jack, i agreed it was worthwhile to go forward and consider "_building_ tooling in general that might do the job and why"

So, until Richard objects, i am addressing your deep concern that there is no reason to make tooling. Manifestly, several of us on this site do so. If that scares you or does not fit your interests, quit reading. You have not added anything but bile to the discussion.
    Stephen, you seem to have have posted the same sets of photos over and again and that's good and there is nothing wrong with making your own.
    I've also made and modified plenty of tools but never found the need to make heads to carry them. Many woodworkers don't have the equipment to do even basic operations in metal, let alone an indexer and milling machine, so the economics of making tooling are sketchy at best for most guys. I do recall mentioning the use of a broach in production and that would be above and beyond for most people. At least 2 well established local tooling manufacturers have closed doors, because the demand is well met by CNC machined tooling, custom or otherwise.Just saying, and I'm entirely unconcerned and not at all scared. It's your circus and your monkeys, and I'm sorry to have suggested an alternative. My brow is unfurrowed.
    If you see bile, please re-read the words. Yours and mine.

If you have projects to post please do so.
    I post projects and get grief. I post tooling and get grief. Please add something substantive including whatever it is you are making these days except discord.

I don't feel the need to, thanks. Understand that in this part of the world, that's called FIGJAM and not generally welcome; I don't need to top others on a forum and won't engage in your invited pissing contest. I don't know if thats the case in your part of the world but most on PM seem happy to share and share alike, seriously and in jest without climbing up the dung heap.

That was not my point - i said that the cut is all on one face. This usually creates less-than-favorable geometry for a "complex" cut compared to one where each segment of the cut has its own rake/hook/shear angles optimized. Additionally, a cutter; perhaps especially one that includes slotting sections, that is built with those features usually runs more freely, cuts longer between maintenance events, and is easier to maintain.
    It's not really relevant to pinned or serrated head or Richard's job, but: all heads designed to take a set of exchangeable profile knives cut on one or more geometric faces- that's one of the features of forming the profile. As I mentioned, sometimes the fact that one knife is finishing the cut is of advantage, especially in a multi-knife head.
    The commercial carbide profile stack sets don't seem to mind, although those designed for tenon and scribe operations on endgrain are sometimes skewed on wider cuts.

I'm genuinely curious - do you do woodwork professionally? What do you make? Since a concern of yours is "why people don't post" why don't you post your projects with pictures? Richard and I have.
    smt
    Yes-Research work-destructively tested

downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't feel the need to, thanks. Understand that in this part of the world, that's called FIGJAM and not generally welcome; I don't need to top others on a forum and won't engage in your invited pissing contest.
    You used an unfamiliar acronym and declined to answer my earlier question about what you meant. I looked it up and apparently it means: "F- I'm good, just ask me". You've been a little bit elusive. Just so we are on the same page, would you please explain exactly what you mean and what your intent is?

Yes-Research work-destructively tested
    Please clarify. We all do research and many of us have destructive moments.

Why post on an online forum if you are not willing to contribute? Or if your satisfaction is derived primarily from sniping at people who do? Is that a superior form of "FIGJAM"?

smt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You used an unfamiliar acronym and declined to answer my earlier question about what you meant. I looked it up and apparently it means: "F- I'm good, just ask me". You've been a little bit elusive. Just so we are on the same page, would you please explain exactly what you mean and what your intent is?
    People ask questions and contribute information and ideas more freely in an environment where it is trusted that the ideas will be received in good faith- i.e. where is is safe to do so. In a situation where one of the group repeatedly indicates how good he is relative to the others the perceived safety of exchanging information disappears and often this natural instinct is well founded.
    I'm sincerely sorry if the term used is perceived as "elusive"; understated may be more accurate and in it's native context the usage is either subtle or self-deprecating. All good group stuff.
    My intent is to see a subforum where information may be freely exchanged, in effect a resource of knowledgeable people.

Please clarify. We all do research and many of us have destructive moments.
    Exactly as stated- items deliberately tested.

Why post on an online forum if you are not willing to contribute? Or if your satisfaction is derived primarily from sniping at people who do? Is that a superior form of "FIGJAM"?

smt
    I believe I did make a contribution to Richard's original question and have assisted many others with matters where I'm able to do so. If you feel that the presentation of an on topic, reasoned alternative opinion or argument is sniping, I'm truly sorry, no FIGJAM required. I'm quite sure you are aware of the reality of sniping and I think you may have made your point as well as making mine.
    Not really a fan of the seeds either.

downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This does seem to come up every few years. The site slows down, I end up being the only substantive respondent to a few posts that actually responds to the subject and says "yes, you can do it, it's not that difficult". Someone gets pissed off and personalizes it because i cheerlead, which is my only intention. Believe me, i have a full life. If me posting old stuff makes you insecure, that really is your problem. I'm very careful with newbies, hobbyists and posters of lower end machines, which Don does not always appreciate. For other stuff, The owner's intent is that this is not a newbie site. For a lot of people, the fact that someone just "does it" offends their sense of permissions in life, and they feel it necessary to note that, but with a raft of other excuses to make themselves feel better about it.

I wonder if you are a machinist - once a person understands that corrugations are pretty straight forward with good procedure & that a multi-pass approach can work fine; it does not matter the orientation. Pocket style cutterheads have far fewer corrugations per pocket, and are simpler than the heads shown.

I sometimes make cutterheads to solve specific problems for other people. The multiple tool stacked cutter that also seemed to bother you is an example of a simple system that would work very well for Richard's application. Half round brazed cutter with stellite tips, and 2 different diameter multi-tooth insert tools. Possibly a spurs at the step intersection. Stellite because it gets sharpet than carbide and is easier to sharpen.

Euro cutterheads seem fine and simple for quick adaptation of smallish profiles with unchallenging geometry for short run jobs. I use & make similar style pocket cutterheads for the same purposes, but they offer more flexible approach to set up and to tool bit options.

Post something interesting with pictures and many of us would appreciate it, some of us would take you more seriously.

smt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First, I want to thank everyone for their posts, there was a lot of really good information and suggestions.

On the other hand I really regret that this thread turned into a pissing match, especially between 2 members who are clearly knowledgeable and have a great deal to offer. Just cut it out guys!!!

We're all a little nuts, especially the more creative amongst us. Sometimes what makes us rich also makes us poor. I can tolerate just about any quirk, except for mean-spiritedness and racism.