What's new
What's new

More miniature turning.....

rivett608

Diamond
Here is what I'm working on today..... making some miniature 18th century English or Dutch ink stands in 1/12th scale..... about a inch or less long each.... all parts turned from brass..... lids tapered fit..... screwed to the base with a period spanner type header screw (1.0 mm or 00-90).......

I am preparing to teach a class on these in Europe hence the reason they're sitting on a Euro note........ a question.... if you had convert a drawing or object from decimal inches to metric how do you do it? Which is your favorite method, do you use a calculator or the inch/metric button on a pair of digital calipers?

inkstandeuro.jpg

Neat stuff once again, Rivett.

I use a calculator. 25.4 mm per inch is burned into ROM in my head. I don't use digital calipers, don't seem to trust them for several reasons.

Mr. Rivett,
I work at the level of a craftsman, You are at the level of artist. The more I see of your work I think you are part magician. Your work is beyond description. You have been blessed with a gift and you have made the most of
it.
Old Bill

An example:

0.0820" = 2.08 mm per Mitutoyo caliper

= 2.0828 mm per calculator.

Another example of perfection, your work is amazing!!

I hate to be the one nitpicker, but --

oh I'm only joking man. Those are awesome work. Thank you for sharing a small bit of your talent with us.

Neat stuff once again, Rivett.

I use a calculator. 25.4 mm per inch is burned into ROM in my head. I don't use digital calipers, don't seem to trust them for several reasons.
Double Ditto
John

I'm confused. I thought the Dutch were some of the largest peaople on earth... ? Maybe that is a Dutch Euro.

Truly amazing work.
The tiny little feet, the oval tray... Just amazing.

Upside to small work, think of how long a bar of material goes? I make chips the size of those pieces.

You have got to share some info on the oval tray? Did you turn it with an attachment or is it a build up from flat stock, possibly soldered? Do you use a lot of form tools? If so I want to praise your grinding technique.

Thanks on the metric conversion.... I was using my calipers which I kind of figured was the hard way.... some days math just isn't my thing...... and I'm more comfortable with a tool than an electronic thing with a bunch of buttons in my hand.

jK..... Some days it does seem like you can about a million parts out of one bar.... and I think you all make chips bigger than my finished work....... the tray is made up from flat stock, rim soldered to it with gold solder so no seam..... feet soldered on with lower temperature solder....... no form tools on this..... just use a cut-off tool about 1.0 mm to work out the main areas and key corners..... then go after the curves with a graver.... speed about 5,000 rpm.....

David... the candles are made from nylon with steel wicks..... they don't melt this way...

I do believe that "Mr. and Mrs. Doll" will be delighted with their new desk accessories !!!

That's an awesome level of detail.

Do you hold the tool in your hand, woodturner's style, or do you have a machine rest? Do you use a "form tool"?

What lathe? Watchmaker's? Toolmaker's bench lathe like a P&W #2? Something more modern?

Doesn't matter what tools you use, the skill level is still nearly beyond comprehension.

John Ruth

Rivett608;
Nice work! I have spun (not turned) some similar sized pitchers, trays, etc. for doll house makers who wanted special sets for their creations. For handles and embellishment I used patterned rollers to spiffy up brass wire for such trim. The tiny items were spun or soldered together where required then the fancy brass wire trim added appropriately (soldered). I posted a few links to one of these patterened rollers in your "fancy knurls" thread. The one shown is larger than would be desired for your scale of work; but smaller designs are available. You will get the idea.

I just thought you might be interested in incorporating such patterned wires into your work - whenever it would remain "period".

Again, impressive work on the minis.
Jim

John..... the gravers I hold by hand and use a tee-rest..... I even do this on my Rivett 608 on bigger things....... anyway for this I use a Taig lathe modified with a longer spindle nose for 8 mm collets.... this gives me more room for my fat fingers...... as I have said before... I have a shop full of fancy lathes and the Taig is the one I use most....

Magic I am familiar with pattern wire and have used it over the years on a few things.... I once did a little black-wood box trimmed with some nice gold patten wire from some antique glasses...... I would be very interested to know who you did some miniatures for? I suspect I know them... you can send me a private email by clicking above...... Thanks

There is a nice (& freeware) unit converter I use which converts just about anything to anything else. You decide how many decimal places to go out.

google "ESB Unit Conversion Utility"

I've got v4.1 which seems to be free forever. The newer version(s) are only free for a limited time, but have even more conversion capability.

Of course, if you use AutoCad or Solidworks, you can set up the dimensioning to call out both metric & inch at the same time.

Back