What's new
What's new

My Miniature Tool Chest

rivett608

Diamond
It seems it has been a while since I posted any pictures of my work so I thought I would. I kind of refer to this as my "Gold Watch"..... after doing this kind of work for 20 years I kind of thought I should have some little memento of my business and since I'm self employed the boss is not going to give me a gold watch for 20 years service.... he's me and too cheap. Anyway I did this about 10 years ago.

So since I collect old tools what better than a tiny tool chest. This is a 18th century English Gentleman's Tool Chest, based on the Hewitt chest at Williamsburg. The chest is made from Mopane wood which looks like mahogany in scale and oxidizes similarly. The secondary wood is swiss pear. The chest has dovetails sides and drawers, dust shields between the drawers, tongue and grove joints on the lid, vee notch and cross lap joints on the dividers. The lock works and the label is printed on 18th century paper.

All the tools work, even the plane's tote (handle) is set a scale 1/8" to one side as the original. The saw has 160 teeth to the inch... milled on my F-3. The hardest was the folding rule with 5 leaf hinge... about .030" thick and hand engraved on boxwood. Things like the shears and dividers have nice little joints........ so some time if you have a little spare time make yourself a little something....... it can be time well spent.... after all it's Labor Day so get to work.... I should.

Case4x6.jpg

If you didn't work on such small stuff the invading Box elder bugs wouldn't be a real problem. As small as your work is, they probably carry it off!!
Well done!

BS!

Now I know you got some space midgets to make that stuff.

The handles on the drawer faces and cabinet sides, made them too?

The scroll work on the label was just freehanded too?

No way....You been down to "Area 51" and got you some ET shortlings :D

Once again you stand out in the arena of skilled craftsmen and artisans, very well done.

Oh, hey...You gotta booger under yer nail. ;) JRouche

In the best possible way, you must be one sick bastard to want to do that. Geez.

Beautiful work as usual Rivett, and nice pics to show it.

I was about to post some pics of my new scraping tools, but now I think I'm going to go to my fishing forum and show them as "catfish billy clubs" instead.

Rob

Thanks folks...... Rob... please do post your scraping tools... I'm sure they are a lot more useful then my stuff.

As to the little eggs shaped things... they are the boxwood handles of gimlets...... these are little corkscrew looking things, there are 5 sizes and the blades fit into slots toward the back of the chest. One detail I forgot to mention is that many of the tools are signed.... not the name stamp on the brass back of the saw...... done with a micro stamp.... .012" high letters.

I did make all the hardware in and on the chest, the label was done at the print shop and is reworked from an 18th century one so I did not have to engrave that.....

Rivett,
The proliferation of the work that you've displayed over time, not only shows your very high artistic skill, you've got to be cranking that stuff out very fast as well. Hard to believe those two go together. Amazing!

Bob

"got to be cranking that stuff out very fast as well".... No sir..... I work as slow as can be....... remember this forum is only a few years old....... When I started making these things about the only folks with computers at home little boys like Billy Gates.. (only kidding, no disrespect intended)..... so what I have posted here are samples of a few of the things I have have made since 1977...... this chest as I said I did about ten years ago...... so, see I don't really work that fast. BTW.... things I have posted are in particular order as to when I made what.....

Back