What's new
What's new

Need Help With Vibration On Newman KF-24 Gang Ripsaw

lford250

Plastic
Hi,
I have a 1995 model Newman Whitney KF-24 gang ripsaw that is used for woodworking. A few days ago, we ripped up nearly 300 2x8x8' boards with no problem at all. After ripping the 2x8's, I took the blades off and set them to run a different width for another order. After I put the blades back on the saw, I noticed a bad vibration when I turned the saw back on. I didn't think there was a problem with the blades, but I did take the blades off to make sure that they weren't causing the vibration. After taking the blades off, the vibration was still there. The vibration was so bad that the laser guide on the saw got out of alignment. I first thought that the vibration might be coming from the rubber Sure-Flex connector between the motor and the saw arbor. I replaced the Sure-Flex connector with a new one, but the vibration persisted. When I took the old Sure-Flex connector off, I did run the motor without being connected to the saw arbor. The motor ran fine without any vibration. I wanted to make sure that the motor wasn't causing the vibration. There are 2 inboard bearings on the saw and 1 outboard bearing. I have a new outboard bearing ordered and should receive it on Thursday. I am planning to replace the outboard bearing and hope that the vibration will stop. Does anyone know how I can check to make sure that it is a bearing causing the vibration? And, if it is a bearing, how do I know which bearing or bearings is causing the vibration? I'm trying to keep from just buying a bunch of unneeded parts. I would rather just purchase the parts that I am actually needing. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Larry

I know zilch about these saws, BUT - given that you say the vibration appeared when you moved the blades on the arbor (to change the rip spacing I gather) THEN the vibration started.

Now, it could be a bearing or coupling failed at just that moment.

But I would be taking a real careful look at that arbor, any spacers on it, any keys and balance weights (all there? in the right places?) and such.

Hey Bryan, I appreciate your input. I have been in communication with the company that made the saw. I told the guy at the company that I definitely treat my machinery with "kid gloves". I am always very careful when taking the saw sleeve off of the arbor and when putting it back on. As far as I can tell, I didn't do anything that would have messed up the arbor. The guy at the company told me to take the saw sleeve totally off and then try running the machine with the saw sleeve off to see if the vibration is still there. I did that and the vibration was still there, but it wasn't quite as amplified. I am guessing that maybe it wasn't quite as amplified because the arbor didn't have the weight of the saw sleeve on it at the time. I took the old outboard bearing out of the housing today and am waiting for the new outboard bearing to come in tomorrow. We did have a very hard time getting the nut off that locks the bearing in place. It looks like a couple of the threads on the nut had been messed up. So, I am going to be ordering a new nut. The nut won't come in til next week. So, it will be the first of next week before I hopefully get everything put back together and try it out. I have had and operated this saw since 2005. I have never had this vibration issue before. I did everything the other day the same as I have always done when changing the blades. I will wait and see what happens, but I'm not totally convinced that the outboard bearing is the problem. If you have any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks again.

Larry

Good luck. When these sorts of things happen to me it often turns that I first replace some wrong bearings, then finally the right bearing - never get the right thing the first time.... Sigh....

Have you used a dial indicator to see if there is any runout on the arbor?

...and take a prybar to the arbor (while installed) to check for bearing looseness, as well as any other kind of movement)
Use the pry bar to test using the dial indicator, some parts won't move the dial indicator with simple hand force, yet are still bad.

I hear ya! Unfortunately, that happens to me too. I wish I could just figure out what needs to be replaced right off of the bat, instead of replacing parts that don't need to be replaced.

I haven't used a dial indicator yet, but that will be what I will check out next, if the outboard bearing replacement doesn't fix the problem. Thank you.

Ok. Thanks. Once I get the outboard bearing replaced, I will see if I can get a prybar to the arbor, once everything is bolted back in place and see if there is any moving around while checking with a dial indicator.

Back