What's new
What's new

New making blocks to dowels and more

robbor

Aluminum
I’m new to wood working , have two wood lathes I’ve never used. I’m interested in making long skinny balsa lure. I’m thinking a duplicator would help. Is there sonething else diy I can do to turn blocks like 2x2x12 into nice even dowels? Then of course need to shape once a have a pattern down and tested. Thank rob

Block of steel with 2" dia. hole in it.
Tapped holes on face for skiving knife looking tool.

you are on a professional machinist site. Most of us have metal working lathes we can use; even though most of us prefer to keep wood dust off the metal lathes . :D

Doug's suggestion is a good one - a wood working tool called a "hollow auger"

I have also rigged up my planer for making long skinny objects with various tapers or conic sections. IOW, pool cues.

For other small shapes, a 3D pantograph works well. A millwork client of mine is famous in the antique (porcelain) doll world and gives seminars. She had an idea for a project for which i made her 50 sets of torsos and some other none porcelain hidden parts for dolls on a Gorton 3D pantograph. Should work fine for lures.

All the above noted, balsa is so easy to carve, it might just be faster to do it all by hand as traditional?

PS, something is screwed up about adding pix right now. Might try later.

smt

As mentioned, a block of steel, or even wood, with a conical hole and a knife edge clamped so its protruding into the hole slightly. Think "pencil sharpener" but the exit hole if you like, is the size of the dowels you want. There are plenty of videos about jigs on youtube.

A stop clamped on your turning tool and run along the tool rest will do it. If the rest is not longe enough, think about a way to add length to it in a safe way.

If you have a table saw, make a jig to saw the squares into octagons, then carve and shape by hand.

Look around the web for articles about both ideas and pay attention to safe practices. Since you are new at this, think it through carefully and pay attention to your set up.

Here is one:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VPprpxMoxV4
But if you have not used a lathe before learn how before you hurt yourself.

More:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lOELuHLk98E

Back