What's new
What's new

Offset spindle ("offset base") routers?

Pretty sure I've seen them on Porter-Cable too. Quick search came up with 7312 for their laminate trimmer, but I'm not sure they're still around as P-C has eliminated some pretty awesome tools over the years.

Regards,

Jarrod

The Spanish company Virutex makes a coving router which is angled 45˚ for getting right into corners. Not exactly what you describe of course, but it might offer a solution depending upon what you are trying to do.

Jarrod - the power section for the PC seems to be done though they can be bought used online. The baseplate is still available as remaindered stock from several sources. Besides the inconvenience, have read a couple notes to the effect that Bosch is equivalent or better.

Chris - Both Makita and Bosch bundle their small units in kits that include adjustable angle/coving bases up to 45°; as well as a small fixed base for conventional trimming, along with the offset spindle base, cogbelt and cogs. Makita also includes a plunge base for a kit that is about $15 - $20 more than the Bosch which does not include that item. None of the online reviews that i saw were very discriminating nor "comparative" between the 2 offerings. I don't really need the extras, but the economics suggests getting the bundle anyway. Not much saving in $$ and some inconvenience in sourcing the power unit plus offset base separately. Once that seems to be the viable option, i wonder which is the "better" product in terms of ergonomics, fineness, etc. I prefer rectangular bases, so am leaning toward Bosch for including that configuration of fixed base. Then, it's easy to waffle - is there any reason to consider i might wish i had the small plunge base with the Makita?

I'm not even really jonesing to buy a new tool, either. More like trying to avoid it, but that costs. Small job where the offset would be very convenient, and the fixed base could be used for other trimmer and inlay situations on the same job. But then when thinking "inlay" that potentially puts the Makita plunge base back in the picture. So if the both machines were the same to another pro, i might get the M and make a rectangular base.

Besides checking whether i missed any contenders, was hoping for some "serious" user feedback on both units including whether the M plunge base works accurately & well. Have read the power head "drops" when installing or loosening the cam to remove, but that seems irrelevant to me. More interested in fineness and accuracy of plunge itself.

smt

One issue you may wish to consider with the offset spindle, is that there is no plunge functionality. The connection is with a small drive belt, and the offset spindle itself is fixed. So, setting depth with precision is going to be annoying at best. You place the bit into the offset spindle and set the depth manually by eye, and if the cut proves to be at a different depth than desired, then the adjustment can only happen by loosening the collet and moving the bit. This is the trade-off that comes with the offset base being an accessory item, rather than it being a dedicated tool. That's why I suggested the Virutex.

As for plunge bases that work "accurately and well", that something which, if you start to look at it closely, will be a source of disappointment. Depends how you define those terms of course.

I think the combination of 'consumer grade power tool' and 'precision' is not so good. Perhaps 'precision' enough for most folk's needs, but you will not likely find a commercial product with plunge base that maintains perfect perpendicularity through the plunge stroke, and if one did, it probably wouldn't do so for very long.

Festool routers, for instance, do not have flat base castings IME, so obtaining a nice perpendicular plunge is already impossible with a brand new tool. Some routers are better than others it seems, in one category or another, but they are not precision tools really. Not by a long shot compared to a dialed-in milling machine, say.

That's why I suggested the Virutex.

Unless i'm missing something, Virotex won't come close to doing what i need.
An offset spindle, regardless depth setting, will.

Now it is down to either a.) skipping a tailed apprentice completely and using hand tools, b.) (because of pricing strategies by the vendors)picking one of the available units based on the box of accessories, which may or may not be useful in future, or c.) throwing a dart and guessing which of the 2 units will work best with the OEM fixed base and the offset base. The complication is that these are not available in a bricks & mortar store (AFAIHF in 4 months looking), they have to be ordered.

smt

Last edited:
Well, I must not be understanding your application. You did not specify anything beyond that you were looking for a tool, "The kind that permits getting a small bit within about 1" or closer of an obstruction? " and I thought the Virutex might work for that. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Sorry to trouble you with the suggestion.

A number of years ago i made a small (tiny) base and collar to use with a dremel handpiece and steel shop made patterns to make the cope
for stair nosings & treads into previously installed millwork panels. The stairs are concrete under the wood casing; the rough crew faces the surfaces with 3/4" plywood, and the feature wood goes right on that, so not a lot of room to work. Between the rough rough crew and the finish work, each does some shimming to yield code compliant step geometry. There were quite a few of these treads on both sides of the theatre at several levels, so worth making the tooling.

smt_theatrewood11.jpg

smt_theatrewood12.jpg

(Guy in pic is welder, not our crew.)

Thinking about that, I've decided that when the time comes for the project for which the offset spindle router was considered, I will just improve the Dremel handpiece base and use that. It will probably even get an extra 1/8 or 1/4" closer yet to an obstruction. :) A small stubby 5/16" router bit (shop shortened, shop reduced shank will be used, or maybe a very small wing cutter on a 1/8" shank arbor with pilot bearing.

It will be used to cut a rabbet into the edge of some old work where the veneers have been chewed up, to inlay solid feature wood strips. Unfortunately for the straight forward use of a common router, there are occasional obstructions and abutments at each of 16 corners.

No response yet from Betterly.

Thanks for the brainstorming, sorry for my impatience.

smt

Back