What's new
What's new

Oliver pattern lathe

b sco

Aluminum
So, I'm thinking I'll have to get out of the trade due to lack of need for hand built patterns.
I have an early 1900s lathe, fairly large.
There are pictures in my profile.

Do you guys think there might be a market for it?
Thanks!

You might find a serious hobbyist wood turner who wants it. I managed to sell my post lathe about a year ago and it was not really that useful for turning anything smaller than about 24-36" in diameter. I no longer needed it since buying the CNC Router.

I still have my sliding gap bed pattern lathe but have not used it in about 5 years. I should probably sell it as well but will likely hang onto it.

I think someone would want it if the price was reasonable. I'd be interested if I didn't already have a 25C.

I don't know what a reasonable price would be tho, probably not very high for a machine of that vintage

I know a surprising number of woodworkers with old, longbed patternmaker's lathes.
Even a shorty like that should have a ready market - perhaps even easier to sell for higher price since the size opens up the market with both pro and hobby level woodturners who want a solid lathe with decent capacity that does not take up the whole wall or center aisle in a shop.

If you tooled it up pretty well over the years with chucks and faceplates, that should be a plus. Just check what high end modern wood lathes cost.

smt

I just sold an Oliver 26c gap bed lathe, swings 60" at 72" and 30" at 15 feet.

It needs restored and I still got good money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back