What's new
What's new

Opinions on planer, horizontal boring machine, is it worth picking up?

SShep71

Hot Rolled
I have a friend that has a Rayco horizontal boring machine, and a old Craftsman 112 planer from the 50's. He does not want them around (doesn't use them) and wants to let them go for cheap. Are these worth picking up? I have zero use for the horizontal boring machine, I was hoping I could flip it to make back the money for the planer. Any opinions?

Horz borer is only good for a few things to a few people. If you can design to make use of it, you will like it. Most woodworking pilgrims have no clue.

Advise:

A horizontal boring machine is what I use when making cabinet doors with splines. As long as the splines fit tight, the joint is almost as good as a tenon.
This is the joint between the rails and stiles. With some raised panel router bits you are not allowed long tenons on the rails. I would look at the boring
machine. The planer is something I would look at too.

Opinion:
If you flip the boring machine then divide the profit and give your friend half. That is friendship.

Horz borer is not well understood to most woodworking pilgrims. But worth its weight in......Kobi Beef to someone who needs one. I have one buried in my shop somewhere. Last used it 15 years ago? Shortly after getting it I went to CNC type machines that were like Swiss Army Knives to woodworking. Did everything. But super good and quick at everything.

Back