What's new
What's new

OT? Name of older style milled railings?

Scottl

Diamond
Hi,

Hopefully someone knows the name of this particular mill profile.

These are very common on houses in my area built in the 50s but the guys at the lumberyard are too young to know what I'm talking about so they don't know what to ask their suppliers for.

These rails are approximately 2 x 3 inches and mounted in the orientation shown as stair rails, especially on inside basement stairs. The profile is almost identical to a standard milled 2 x 3 except the top 2 edges are rounded almost to a hemisphere shape. I think the wood was close-grained fir.

rail section.jpg

They were usually toenailed in place with large finish nails, to the door casing/framing at the top and to a 3-1/4 square newel post at the bottom. Very often there are 2 per side with a lower rail at a height that could be grasped by children.

I could mill them myself except I'd likely have to start with 2 x 4s so it would not be as simple as just routing the corners and I'd much prefer to use a stock profile if they are still available.

So, does anyone know the name for these?

UPDATE:

The existing rail measures 2-9/16 x 1-5/8 which is very close to a # 6002 profile non-plowed (2-3/4 x 1-5/8) so my best bet is likely to use a roundover bit on that. Also I believe I was incorrect and the species may be hemlock.

Agree with Bill D. Code for stair railings for a number of years have had standards relating to being grip-able. Therefore, even with the correct name it is probably not available.

Most suppliers of wood moulding have a printed sheet that shows all the shapes they provide.

Agree with Bill D. Code for stair railings for a number of years have had standards relating to being grip-able. Therefore, even with the correct name it is probably not available.

Most suppliers of wood moulding have a printed sheet that shows all the shapes they provide.

Agreed. Under the code any hand rail with a perimeter that exceeds 6.25 inches is not allowed UNLESS it has thumb and finger grooves that meet certain requirements. I added the grooves on both sides after routing the 5/8" radius on the top edges. The rails are now installed and are a huge improvement over the original.

PS: The profile I started with, # 6002 from LJ Smith, are intended to be installed on the flat, apparently as balcony railings.

This was a favor for an elderly relative who did not like most of the modern profiles.

Back