OT: Who Makes the Best Framing Nailer (had it with PC)
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default OT: Who Makes the Best Framing Nailer (had it with PC)

Hello All. I've had it with Porter-Cable framing nailers. I threw away an old FR350 because the repair part was outrageously priced; that nailer was old and basically trouble-free for years, so no big deal. So a couple of years ago I bought a newer version FR350a, which I very sporadically use (always kept well-oiled with pneumatic oil); go to use it and shoot a few nails a week ago, and two of the urethane stops/bumpers completely disintegrated--this is a virtually new nailer with regard to use. OK setting aside the issue of PU materials disintegrating and materials selection, the kicker is that the two replacement parts are ~$25 each (should be a $5 part) (already ordered one, then saw there is another). I've had it, the repair parts prices would put vintage Porsche parts to shame, and render the tools disposable. Thing is I have a lot of various 22 degree round head nails which I'd like to use--any recommendations appreciated. (Oh, and interestingly, it appears that these wear/degradable parts are the the most exorbitantly priced).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do a lot of work in construction industry and out here ALL the framing guys have been using hitachi for as long as I can remember. Nothing but hitachi.
    NR83 looks like the model

3. Likes Dumpster_diving liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cordless paslode works great here. Love it

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5. Likes moonlight machine, henrya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I built my house it was a Senco.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a Paslode as well, works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    I do a lot of work in construction industry and out here ALL the framing guys have been using hitachi for as long as I can remember. Nothing but hitachi.
    NR83 looks like the model
    I found Hitachi to be the best as well. Looks like they are Metabo now. Make sure you buy the one with the adjustable depth gauge... very handy when you are nailing siding.

Metabo HPT Round Head Framing Nailer | NR83A5M | Nail Gun Depot

9. Likes Dumpster_diving liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not a everyday user, mine may set for a year and then get all day use for a few days so I don't honestly know that much about them. I picked up a used Bostich with the coil nails, don't recall model, but it was old and used hard when I got it and I have had it 10 yrs plus. It has been a great tool. No trouble with it. IDK if newer versions are the same reliabilty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Paslode makes an outstanding framing nailer. Really excellent. You will never want another nailer after you’ve run the Paslode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 2 PC framing guns. One was for making pallets. It was connected at the lowest part of my air system and not used for over a year. When I did finally use it a funny muffled sound came out with the nail driven maybe .250. I pulled the hose off faster than I could think and got sprayed with nasty compressor water. Sweatshirt into the trash and went home and changed pants. Gun had filled with water, hose too. Drained all and loads of WD 40. Gun still works. Happened maybe 10 years ago. PC stuff is still imported crap. We had 2 of their self powered gas guns. We called them POOF guns. Hardwood trim and often the gun would not fire correctly. POOFTH! and a nail driven in just far enough to break when trying to pull it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hitachi, I owned 7 and 1 PC 350 that was used only as a spare. The PC double shot too often. I was going to give it away but thought better of it. This piece of crap was dangerous. I cut it in half and tossed it The Hitachi guns were relatively light in weight and also mostly trouble free. I had one carpenter maintain all the pneumatic tools. He oiled and cleaned them daily. He also installed new drivers when needed.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got a PC air framing nailer and a Paslode gas one. I never use the PC one anymore. Who wants to listen to a compressor and drag a hose around? Not me.