What's new
What's new

Outdoor Sign

jerryzak

Aluminum
I only work in wood a a hobby. My work is running and programming CNC machines.
So this is probably a silly question but I want to make a engraved wood business sign for my
daughter and I'm not sure what kind of wood and paint to use.
Jerry

I used to occasionally make redwood blanks for carved signs.

I think in the past 20 years, almost all that has gone to HDU (High Density Urethane). More weather resistant with less maintenance, much cheaper, saves the OG prime trees. :) There are also a range of engineered signboards (faced plywood) such as MDO (highway signs, e.g.)for large flat signs. I am not familiar with how they adapt with penetrations such as engraving or how such features are best sealed.

If you have to use wood, it sort of depends on size and whether your intentions are to paint completely or maintain the background bright.

Ipe, mahogany, and to some extent African mahogany work fine if the signs are not too wide. OG Redwood and even WRC are good for wide signs especially if vertical grade (Quarter sawn). Alaskan/yellow cedar is excellent for a lighter background. Even QS White Oak is ok in widths under 1' but less stable than the previous. Walnut is very durable and reasonably stable for signs in the width range of oak. Any lumber is more stable if QS. Large width signs generally need to be proportionately thick.

smt

I believe that many of the wood signs around here are made from cedar although pine has been used as well. Properly primed and painted cedar holds up very well in the New England climate. I would suggest a good quality acrylic paint and primer. I've used Coronado Crylicote Gold over Benjamin Moore Fresh Start primer with excellent results on new wood.

I also find the Crylicote Gold to be one of the most pleasant paints to use as it brushes so well if a quality brush is used. Whatever you do son't buy paint from one of the big box stores. Go to a real paint store.

Back