Overhead Pin Routers - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, I looked at the manual. Is that part plastic? Unplug the machine. Rotate the spindle by hand. You can probably either see or feel if it is spinning positively by using the pipette from a spray bomb of cleaner or oil. (rather than something harder). There are 2 close access areas, the filler and the lower side where the plastic oil tube goes in. If that part ever got jambed by trash, or by sliding down until it contacted something, it might not still be tight on the shaft.

Yours is centrifugal, but it is little more than an inverted smooth cup that depends on a closely surrounding shroud & chamber, to make enough pressure to move small amounts of oil up a short tube by flinging it off the rim.

smt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_2986.jpgimg_2987.jpg

Hello SMT and thanks for the reply! Here is a pic of the oiler tube on the side of the machine as well as a pic of the whole machine. I think there's supposed to be a filter that isn't there... maybe if I can find one that would be the fix. Any thoughts on where to find that kind of thing?

Best regards,

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You say you have the manual, and if not it is in PDF online at OWWM. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/610/4468.pdf

The first question would be is the oil the correct viscosity? I would use light spindle oil. Go to the manual, read the specs, make your decision. IOW, don't just use any old oil that is laying around. Those bearings are precise and expensive. Thick oil = heat = dead bearings, as is spelled out in the manual. Mobile velocite 6 (very thin, ISO 10 rating)is recommended in the manual and is commonly available. Google

If you look in the manual, the rate of oil feed can be adjusted with an external knurled knob (with a knurled locking nut around it) on top of the spindle housing that moves the oil filter internally. You might play around with that to see if it is shut off.

I, personaly, would drain all the oil and inspect and clean the oil filter and everything in that area of the oil galleries. If you acquired it with a missing plastic feed tube, who knows how long it ran that way and how much sawdust got sucked in the open port to clog things. I doubt you need to buy a new filter, though. Probably sintered metal or similar. Just treat if very gingerly and soak/wash it a few times in stoddard solvent or similar. Or mineral spirits. If the composition of the filter material is not obvious, you might want to avoid lacquer thinner to start.

If the above does not solve the problem, my experience with "similar" things like that is that the impeller slipped. It is possible to begin to investigate through either the oil filler cap on the right, and in through the reservoir; or by removing the tube fitting on the left and probing through that hole with a tiny plastic straw or similar from a spray bomb.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks very much SMT! I am using the velocite 6 oil ordered online. I took the top end apart and there'e no filter there at all. Just metal parts with little holes. Not sure if there should be a filter of some kind made from what one usually sees filters made of? Anyway,moving the knurled knob adjustment screw is supposed to open or close the filter which makes me think there should be something sponge or squishy that can be compacted in increments but still allow oil to flow through. So I made on out of Scotch-bright (maroon) and that didn't help at all. Well, I think the next step is to disassemble the lower part of the spindle area and the oil filler to see if something is lodged in the way there. Thanks again for your time. Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You seem to be doing everything to avoid checking if the pump impeller is in place and working. As mentioned in first post, that is where you need to start.

the filter which makes me think there should be something sponge or squishy that can be compacted in increments but still allow oil to flow through. So I made on out of Scotch-bright (maroon) and that didn't help at all.
    I looked to see the date and it is not April fools, so still not sure if you are pulling my leg or not. I would guess and that didn't help at all is correct. Filters are supposed to prevent abrasive, lint, & crud from going through the bearings, not be a source for introducing it.

Maybe you really don't understand how expensive some of those bearings are if they get screwed up, and how a seized bearing can mess up the bearing seats?

A filter requires something finer than that mesh, and definitely something without any abrasive in it.

smt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What in the world are you talking about dude? I'm not avoiding anything! I tore the whole machine apart and YES I saw there are little propeller blades attached to the bottom of the spindle that are supposed to push the oil up thru the tube into the upper resevoir.

Anyway, I decided to buy a pump but realized the pump had to be self priming. But all of the self priming pumps are faster or do more volume (GPM) than what was necessary. So I tried my hand at building a Pulse Width Modulator (see pics). Turns out this is just what the doctor ordered! I'm able to adjust the GPM from all the way down at zero up to the pumps max of 4GPM. I only came to this forum for help... never found what I needed. But since I DID figure it out on my own I thought it would be good to post my findings here for any other folks that have the same issue as I did. So, please let me know if you need help! [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_3070.jpg   img_3075.jpg   img_3077.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jet POR-22 owner here. I am looking for a collet and nut and a set of pins for this machine. If anyone knows of any.

I recently purchased this with the word of the seller these parts are all standard and readily available, they are not.

I believe this takes an ER20 collet which is not hard to find but the collet nut.... Also known as the collet cap. I believe this is M30 x 1.50 and deeper than 25m

After scouring every corner of the internet I am trying something else. I spoke with a company that said the could make whatever I need. Sure, 500bucks is a lot of router bits.

If anyone here can help or has an old POR=22 that you want to sell of some parts just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

None of these will work?
    ER 20 collet chuck nut - Google Shopping

PS Er 20, or 25?

smt