What's new
What's new

Pairing table saw contactor with VFD

flox4040

Plastic
Hello all,

I am working on a project refurbishing an 80's powermatic 66. It is a 3phase 5 HP original Baldor motor and I will be using a Teco L510 VFD to allow powering from single phase 230V in my garage. The manual states I ought to use a magnetic contactor and some other bits. Can I use the contactor in the switch on the saw? It is not original to the saw, it has a QC 2012 sticker. I was hoping to use the original switch and connect to the VFD low volt input terminals, but based on the arrangement in the box, if I remove the contactor and put it in with the VFD, I loose the "off" capability. I have attached an image of the contactor in the switch at the moment. Thanks for your help!

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

Vfd replaces the contactor.

You can still use the contactor between main power and vfd as a machine disconnect.

Output of vfd is hard connected to motor.

Control panel switches control vfd output.

Stop action now and do some reading in the vfd sections.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

As Tony says, do not perform any switching between the VFD and the load. That will usually destroy the VFD, sooner or perhaps even sooner, depending on load.

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're aware that the output of the drive must connect to the motor with no device between them.

The contactor can be retained by using it's contacts to switch the logic circuit of the drive to facilitate a START or STOP command. You will have to match the coil voltage of the contactor to the available power pulled into the saw. If you have 240 single phase, you can use one leg of that, provided you pull in a neutral to achieve 120 volts for a coil.

I have a similar saw with the identical motor and it's running off a simple static phase converter and works perfectly. It's a Delta Uni-saw that uses 24 volt control which requires a small transformer in the enclosure. I don't know what your Powermatic has.

Stuart

Back