What's new
What's new

Photo test

test - i've been having problems posting pics of any size.

Any help with photo uploads?
Never had a problem before a few months ago.
Files are jpg less than 97kb.
Put them in the "attach files" block.
When "upload" is poked, they simply disappear.

Smt

pic testIMG_20181113_120028.jpg

Yes, I see it works for you.
I have not changed my process, but the photos simply disappear.
Is there a total file limit posted somewhere? (no notifications, and nothing i found)
Tried deleting some old files just in case, but that didn't work, either.

The message that appears when "uploading" is "waIting for facebook"
Then it disappears and so does the photo.
Never saw that before. Don't have an FB account nor do i want one.
Test file is 91.6 KB jpg.

smt

That "waiting for Facebook" message sounds like some kind of malware.

A while back I was having certain words in people's PM posts highlighted and if I rolled the mouse over them there was a link to an ad site. Other PM members suggested it was malware and they were right.

Test pic (recent job)

Not sure what is going on for you, I just went through the normal procedure for me and it seems to be working. Have you tried a different machine or device?

Attachments

• KIMG0049.jpg
    KIMG0049.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 42
Just read in JP's thread in the members and shop photos section that he can't load pics from his desktop either since June and he tried today as well. So I don't think it is just you...

Thanks for that.
More or less reassuring anyway.

I would estimate sometime in June was probably the first time i tried and it didn't work.
Tried occasionally since in case it was a momentary glitch, but no luck.

Oh, well, some people expressed annoyance at all of my photos anyway, a few years ago.
This will keep me strong. :)

smt

Does not work with no message, so let's try this....

....Nope.

Same symptoms. Can "Choose file" and it promptly goes to the uploader/visible file. Hit "upload" and it disappears.
However, the "waiting for FB" message does not show with this method.

Again, no problem uploading/posting photos to 6 other forums.
Could (obviously :)) post here until late spring 2020. Covid maybe?

Final try: Advanced (check), choose from computer (check), easy: file appears in box immediately (check), poke upload (check). File name vanishes and that's it.

I am working from a desktop, but it is the same computer and programs that worked previously.
I do appreciate the continued efforts and suggestions.
Have tried 2 methods so far, will review John't post further and try others tommorrow.

smt

Tried the bb method, it does not work either
In all versions, i can get the files to the uploader no problem.
As soon as "upload" is clicked, they disappear.

It is possible to click & drag old photos already in the file to the uploader, and they load to my album.

It has not proven possible to upload any new photos from my computer.

Microsoft was supposed to update W10 a couple nites ago, now the notice is back (do it now, tonight, or specify) So maybe some updates did not take?

smt

Tried the bb method, it does not work either
In all versions, i can get the files to the uploader no problem.
As soon as "upload" is clicked, they disappear.

It is possible to click & drag old photos already in the file to the uploader, and they load to my album.

It has not proven possible to upload any new photos from my computer.

Microsoft was supposed to update W10 a couple nites ago, now the notice is back (do it now, tonight, or specify) So maybe some updates did not take?

smt

I REVERE your photos of fine craftmanhip, FWIW.

But the malware is probably on your own workstation.

Mind - it may be on the workstations of OTHERS as well.
Which would make it LOOK as if it was a PM website issue.

If you care to, just use the email option under my loginID to exchange email addresses.

Then email me the problematic graphic file.

I should be able to post it FOR you as a "reply" into the thread where you want it. Even if I need to reduce the file size.

Once that has been done, PM's database assigns the stored file an object ID

IF, then, you copy that identity number [Attachment XX] into a "reply" of your own, it will persist even after MY post is deleted.

AFAIK, the PM DB retains such creatures until there ARE NO calls to them from anywhere else on PM. There is only ever the one file copy stored, no matter how many places cited.

As to "malware"? It is not impossible, here. Only about as unlikely as seeing a dirigible flying pigs to Mars as paying passengers.

I run OpenBSD Unix on my desktop!

:D

Bill -

Unless you are offering to diagnose my software and system, borrowing a through pass on yours is not much interest to me. If it does not load from here, I'll just pass. As mentioned, it is easy to post pics on 7 other forums including 3 aviation, 1 billiards, 1 woodwhacking, 2 antique chainsaw. (Though only the woodwhacking & billiards are "frequent".)

I am of course aware that this does not rule out malware on my system. It does rule out my immediate attention to doing anything about it for posting pics here since it becomes a separate problem that pass-arounds don't solve. Yes, aware that maybe i should slow down and better focus some of my attentions, but somehow on the downward slope accelerating toward 70 there is ever more compulsion to get "one more thing" in. At least like you, my health seems to be holding.

Add "explore malware possibilities" to the list. Albeit not on an immediate schedule.

Hah!

all that said, one last try yielded this, just like it worked a few months ago....

DSC_0194.JPG

Maybe the microsoft update a few nights ago did it?
Too much to do today, will post more later, if this holds.

also will go back to one of JO's methods and see if they still work to post larger.

Fore warned is forearmed for those that object.

:)

Thanks!
smt

Bill -

Unless you are offering to diagnose my software and system,
Not hard. Takes about an hour. Windows cannot be fixed. Yah just bin it.

Five minutes to install OpenBSD. 25 minutes to install whatever you use for applications and put your files where they need to be. if even they need reorganized at all. And hour or several more if yah have a lot and the must e moved to new and secure media.

30 minutes to train you on the few visible differences, given stock "eye candy' desktop themes in the GUi include apple and windows lookalike and controls-alikes.

Thereafter its about 5 minutes, twice a year, to install the binary updates of the OS. Applications are updated as a background task:

time pkg_add -u

The "time" utility will then report 20 or 30 wall clock minutes, far less I/O and CPU time, each go..

But work goes on all the while, so not noticed.

Windows users converting would get delerium tremens, as it is like giving up hard drugs, cold-turkey to not have all the malware, expense, waste of time, and slow and clumsy desktops that make fast and easy things slow and hard!

All an Apple user (already a Unix, just one very badly crippled..) notices is that they have more control buttons and things are no longer so dreadfully slow and clumsy with their gummy old user interface and primitive floppy-disk-derived alleged file storage system.

:(

More seriously, Windows uses have an addiction they CANNOT give up, so I quit bothering them many years ago.

All I expected to ascertain was whether the file size itself was the barrier, then slim it down in stages until it started working, and give you back some numbers to shoot for.

Annnnd .. it looks as if you have gotten there, already!

Practicing the alternate way to load photos more or less full size, to see what happens....

attachment.php

well it works, but photos are now tiny here.
That's 92KB.

Will try more later.
Have to work out what might be a good balance between quality vs size in the photo settings, for actual visual on forum.

smt

PS if someone legitimate (as opposed to robot/spammer) recently tried to contact me, i routinely post email. ehmcofab at gee male

Back