What's new
What's new

Pigmented shellac

Just in case anyone with the information, did not see my request in the Gehry chair post. :)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...slat-chairs-any-experience-284904/index2.html

I am curious if anyone knows of a source for pigmented shellac. Not just dye stain. I have plenty of experience with that. But actual opaque, paint-like shellac in colors other than the white stain killer. I need a kind of a dark Forrest or Hunter green.

Has anyone had experience with such a finish, or contrived one?

Thanks!
smt

Just in case anyone with the information, did not see my request in the Gehry chair post. :)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...slat-chairs-any-experience-284904/index2.html

I am curious if anyone knows of a source for pigmented shellac. Not just dye stain. I have plenty of experience with that. But actual opaque, paint-like shellac in colors other than the white stain killer. I need a kind of a dark Forrest or Hunter green.

Has anyone had experience with such a finish, or contrived one?

Thanks!
smt
go to a woodcraft store. they usually have pigments and dyes for adding to stuff. i would of course try it on a scrap piece of wood first as color dry might be different than when it is still wet.
Find a Woodcraft Store Near You - Woodcraft.com

DMF TomB suggested Woodcraft. Here's a a link to one of their related sites with an article about tinting shellacs. I found the information about mixing glycol-based colorants with shellac to be particularly interesting.

WoodCentral Articles & Reviews

Possibly more experimentation required than you wish for this particular project, however.

~TW~

Sure, and easy for some colors. I've been using lampblack and shellac to make a fine deep, silky black for thirty plus years for wood finishing. I learned this from my family's iron work pattern shop department. They also used a deep dark red; these were the two common colors.

From my long experience I'd say there's no trick at all to making shellac colored finish, at least with easily available pigments. Mix the finely ground pigments with shellac, let it sit for a little bit, not long, paint it on, done. The black is beautiful, by the way.

I don't know what green pigment would make that deep green (which I know and like, I think and have used in oil based paint).

My brother has been up from MD to run a job through the shop and I have not been paying close attention to PM.

You guys have come up with a wealth of information that I was unaware of; and that vinidcated my assessment of what at least these 2 chairs were coated with, and why there are adhesion problems.

I've used flake shellac in most of its types for several decades. I have dyed it. But pigments are all new, and the resources with links above are great! I'll keep reading over the next few days when there is time, and try to find some of the glycol based pigments/tints.

Thanks!
smt

Now..., I'm curious about the "adhesion problem Stephen?

A thought..., I'm not familiar with the glycol based pigments, but if there was too much base it could affect the hardness of the dried coating.

Why in earth would you want to ruin the natural colour of shellac. Use a pigment in a polyurethane!

Obviously you did not read the link or the OP: Because the pigmented polyurethane does not adhere to the original finish despite sanding + chemical cleaning + scotchbright.

However (read other link for updates :) ) the pigmented shellac seems to be doing well. Plus for restoration work of any kind, shellac sure is easier to use.

smt

Back