What's new
What's new

Please help identify wood lathe

jshields

Plastic
I recently came across this Rockwell 11" wood lathe and caught my attention. I have since emailed owner to find out more about it.
All he gave me was the Model: 4G140A/83 & Serial# GU554720
However thats where it stops, I can't seem to find anything more about this particular one.
Also, I know it's just a little lathe but how is it? is it worth the $250? Can it turn or will I be stuck taking painfully little cuts?
Any information on this lathe would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeremiah

I recently came across this Rockwell 11" wood lathe and caught my attention. I have since emailed owner to find out more about it.
All he gave me was the Model: 4G140A/83 & Serial# GU554720
However thats where it stops, I can't seem to find anything more about this particular one.
Also, I know it's just a little lathe but how is it? is it worth the $250? Can it turn or will I be stuck taking painfully little cuts?
Any information on this lathe would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeremiah

UPDATE:
I'm quite sure this model is a 46/140.
who knows of these and their use, can anyone tell me if its worth while?

Photo would help. Rockwell produced a number of lathes as continuation of companies they took over, such as Delta. (Which before that was Duro) and Walker Turner, not to mention Crescent. Some of the things Rockwell continued to produce were often as good as the originals for a while, or even small improvements. Over time they tended to cheapen up and lighten up.

Does it look anything like this common (& lighter version) scion of the old Walker Turner's?

Photo Index - Rockwell International Corp. - Wood Lathe/46-11L | VintageMachinery.org

Or is it older and more heavily built?

Also, what are your intentions for a lathe?

smt

This is going to sound stupid but how do I post pic to forum (new here)? Or is it just links?
It looks identical to the 46/140 or Beaver 3400. I know it's 3/4 hp which may not be enough, I'm looking to do mostly vases and bowls.

Craftsman mostly sold a lot of low quality, low end stuff, but plenty of people started with it.
The Beaver you show is an adequate starter lathe and should work for the stuff you describe until you start making bigger pieces (bowls).
The spindles are wimpy on all the lathes you've mentioned so far, which doe not factor much when the TS is used.
For faceplate and chuck work, it becomes limiting.

I continue to think Hardinge second ops are the best small wood lathes ever made, the split bed versions are usually cheap, and the tooling options for them are limitless. Chisel rests are not common, though, so you have to make your own for them.

:D

smt

Back