What's new
What's new

Porter Cable Model 320 anyone?

rons

Diamond
Any experiences with this vintage electric plane?

In my opinion it is not for fine work, Maybe for a cabinet installer or for hanging doors. On mine it looks like the drum is not parallel with the sole.
I thought I might try it out again. Since it's been in a box for at least 20 years, what the ...

Well I measured the shaft. It is .002 different from end to end. Not bad. The drum was the problem. It expanded on one side near the fence.

Porter Cable is now a junk name. Part of the Stanley, Black and Decker toaster oven brand. Yeah, Dewalt tools are in there as well. Ever wonder why you see Porter Cable tools in Lowes? That do not look as robust as Porter Cable tools?
Black and Decker made some seriously robust long lasting tools. But transferring that name to toaster ovens and steam irons? I watched a friend using one of their routers, making a cutout. ITS GONNA BLOW, GONNA BLOW! Awful sound and a small fireball shot up from the motor, then silence. And smoke/smell.

The tools I own are all made in U.S.A.

The 320 is kind of a finishing tool for odd jobs and some house trim I just did. But un the wrong hands it can take out more wood than you want.

The takeover of America, now a guy is held hostage if he needs a tool in a hurry. Nothing but maybe Milwaukee. But I hardly ever go to Home Cheap
like places and dread walking down the tool isles.

Back