What's new
What's new

Rockwell Table Saw Fence Problem.

Gazz

Stainless
A year ago, my neighbor gave me his table saw when he moved. Not having a table saw I was happy to get it but there seems to be a part(s) missing or damaged for the fence. It was all in parts when I got it and I believe I have everything he gave me but the fence will not lock in place. What mechanism that is there baffles me as there is a knob on the front side that when pulled, lifts the pin up which seems backwards to me. Does anybody recognize this fence and know what parts are missing? I don't do much wood working but need to make a few things for the flatbed and my shop. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 100_5936.jpg
    100_5936.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 100_5937.jpg
    100_5937.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 132
That pin is supposed to clamp the end of the Jetcrap fence in place. Try turning the pin with a screwdriver and see what happens. Lock the fence first.
I have one I can look at later today.

There is likely some sort of cam inside the fence body connected to the operating handle, and it's either loose or positioned wrongly. I think I have seen that same problem on another Rockwell saw with a slightly earlier fence version. I was young, and I couldn't figure it out at the time either.

Try taking the fence apart. I think it is supposed to clamp the fence to the table rail at the far end from the knob. Maybe it is assembled incorrectly or missing a part.

My memory is that the (obvious) screw adjuster for the end shown, is at the other end, above the cam-lock lever at the front. Screwing that cheese-head screw adjusts the tension on the outboard end shown in your photo. OTOH, the end shown, looks "different" from the ones i have had on Rockwell saws. Fence on shop (p)unisaw here is a re-purposed/re-machined cast iron PM fence, so nothing to check my memory by.

smt

Is there a small hole in the front part above the clamping knob?

In addition to the large knob that clamps the front of the fence many of them had a smaller knob above it that tensions a rod connected to the "hook", pulling it tight against the rail.

Just re-read the original post. The knob is threaded, and if it is too loose you can pull on it as described. Try this - first clamp the front of the fence and then tighten the upper knob. If all is ok it should tighten the rear to the rail.

Back