What's new
What's new

Router Spindle running hot

Pattnmaker

Stainless
I am running an HSD air cooled spindle on my router and lately it has been running hotter than I am comfortable with. I am running long cycle times 4-5 hours with 4-8 tool changes is typical, although I sometimes run 8-20 hour jobs. Usually only the first couple of hours is a heavy load often the really long jobs are barely cutting for hours due to very detailed jobs.

After running most of the day today it is very uncomfortable to hold my hand on the side of the spindle. Is this a sign of the spindle being close to needing a rebuild or is it normal? I think the spindle ran cooler when newer. Is there typically a way to increase the air cooling?

The company I bought the router from "manufacturer" will not be any help. But I may try to talk with HSD but I am not sure getting an answer will be easy.

I don't think anything is clogged I blow out the area the fan blows through regularly and you can hear the compressed air cooling running any time the spindle is not cutting.

It has been running all day today 8.5 hr now and it probably has another 7 or 8 hours to go. I dug out an infrared temperature gauge and measured the temperature. It is at 122f 49C. I have a box fan outside the cutting area and will leave it running the rest of the running time. I left the box fan off for a couple of hours before taking the temperature.

Back