What's new
What's new

Seeking help identifying old machinery from my father's wood working shop

rggarf

Plastic
Hello, attached are two pictures of two pieces of equipment that I would appreciate help identifying. I assume they are used in wood working because I found them in my father's old workshop, but could be anything.

Thank you for your input.IMG_1239.jpgIMG_1237.jpg

Yeah, the giant clothespin on the right is generically a vise, and with padded jaws and operated by a foot pedal, for something quite light duty, like stitching.

The other thing... My first impression was that it was an unusually aggressive boot scraper. But it was clearly meant for a shaft to lay in those half-bores (and there may be a missing top portion to whatever it is). What it was used for, what the curved spikes guide/sort/shave, I have no idea.

Last edited:
I cranked a few corn shellers as a kid - they kind of rolled the cob peripherally and peeled the kernels with blunt nubbins. Though there were patents for all kinds of ideas so you just never know until you find out. :)

My first impression was either ice or cheese grater.....

If there's even a faint chance it was woodkwhacking, it would be an excelsior maker.
But that is said mostly as a joke.

smt <---- who actually remembers when fragile things or some machine parts came packed in excelsior, instead of styrofoam peanuts.

Back