Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wood moves around constantly due to changes in humidity. Not much point in cutting to 0.001" when tomorrow it might be 0.003" under. When I'm doing mortise-n-tenon work, I make sure to get the joints all glued up as soon after fitting as possible, since there's no guarantee they're still gonna fit right a week later. I turn bowls out of fresh Madrone wood, and a typical 12" bowl will end up 3-4" out of round when it dries. Yes, inches, not tenths or thousandths. Wood also has all manner of built-in stresses in multiple axes. You can set a table saw up for 0.001" repeatability, but if you're cutting real wood (not plywood or MDF), I guarantee a good % of pieces will be several thousandths crooked after cutting. Table saw is to woodwork what drill press is to metalwork -- a roughing operation that most of the time requires a 2nd operation.

If you're working ply and MDF, it's a different story, and there's a lot of good CNC panel machinery out there.

Thanks for reading.

FG

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the tools the woodworkers give you a headache, be sure to stay out of the plumbers tool kit as his has not changed much since he met the Romans. His tools will fit anything kinda, but nothing or sure, but he doesn't seem to care, so why try try to fix it for him? If you did you would have to train him to use it and watch him while he does it. we have enough trouble keeping people making machined parts on machines designed to do it. Here I go again being sour, I will go to bed now , sorry.