Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Slot mortiser bits/drills.

First time for me at this forum.
    I'm looking for a US-source for slot mortiser drills.
    No matches were found as a result of a search in the Forum for "slot mortiser drills" so maybe I'm using the wrong name.
    I've tried Amazon but they only have Essedo drills for left-hand turning (CCW) machines and I need RH bits.
    I contacted Guhdo US but they would not answer.
    Ideal drills for me would be carbide-tipped, not solid carbide, with 16mm shanks, 10mm to 20mm assorted cutting diameters. Shank diameter must be 16mm, cutting diameter is OK in English units.
    Can anyone suggest a vendor in the US that can supply those?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why not obtain that sort of drill from Europe where they are readily available (though not in fractional inch sizes)? Selection in the US is rather marginal - I haven't been able to find any suppliers of late, though I think Forest City Tool made them in the past at least, and maybe Onsrud, though the current online catalogs from either manufacturer don't appear to list them.

EDIT: look on Forest's site under 'Metric Boring Tools' - but all in only 10mm shank. They may be willing to make something custom for you, but it won't be inexpensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the suggestion! 10mm shanks are way too thin, and my mortiser's collet will only accept 16mm. I'll try to get those drills in Europe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last I knew Forest City made them to order. Spec shank and dia. Mortiser bits are different than drill bits though. You can do both with either but best results with the correct tool. I have used a lot of deep single flute Onsrud cutters to Mortise.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought a 5/8" and a 3/4" from Laguna Tools. They do sell horozontal slot mortisers so they have to sell cutters. The cutters work fine. The machine not so well. They have 1/2" shanks with four points and will run either CW or CCW.

Joe Carpenter

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is it possible to change the collet to 5/8" ,close to 16mm. If so then any number of milling cutters can be used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

High helix carbide side cutting end mills would work. You would probably have to have the shanks reduced to 16mm for the larger than 16mm cutters. For the smaller sizes, collets might let you use the smaller cutters in you machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is it possible to change the collet to 5/8" ,close to 16mm. If so then any number of milling cutters can be used.

High helix carbide side cutting end mills would work. You would probably have to have the shanks reduced to 16mm for the larger than 16mm cutters. For the smaller sizes, collets might let you use the smaller cutters in you machine.

I´ve tried carbide end mills and also carbide-tipped router bits, they are easily available and work beautifully but only for shallow mortises, they just don't have the length for a deeper (4 inch) mortise which requires a 5" long bit including the shank.
    The shank's diameter is not really a problem, collets that will fit are easily made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carpenter View Post
    I bought a 5/8" and a 3/4" from Laguna Tools. They do sell horozontal slot mortisers so they have to sell cutters. The cutters work fine. The machine not so well. They have 1/2" shanks with four points and will run either CW or CCW.

Joe Carpenter
    The Laguna website doesn't mention slot mortising machines or bits; am I looking at the right website?